Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**HELP** with LQ9 conversion in 68 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **HELP** with LQ9 conversion in 68 Camaro

Could you guys please give some advice? I have read so many threads and three books that hit on some of these but not all
Here’s what I have.
68 Camaro that i'm frame off restoring and almost complete.
**ford guy so this is my first chevy and also my first ls motor.**
to start i picked up a lq9 engine 90K miles on it, from a 2004 Cadi Escalade. engine was fully assembled minus Tranny and front brackets or accessories.
I have torn the block down and things went smooth.
-block and heads are at machine shop as we speak.
my questions are about the build of the motor, when to use truck parts and when to convert to car parts. the crank, cam, pistons and heads i'm good with. will go with a stock intake for a LS 6 (or should i use LS2). i will later go with a Fast intake.
1-i know i would go with car style rails and whichever intake but would i use car or truck injectors?
2-I've been told i use a car timing chain and timing cover. do i use the LS2 or LS6 and what year and model motor would i ask for? I believe this is to move the crank senor from the bottom to the top location
3-i have no clue on what Oil pump, water pump, balance i would need to use. do i use the ones for car or truck? what year and model engine would i order them for?
4-i plan on ordering a Holley front accessory kit with all brackets, alt, power steering pump and ac compressor.
5-was going to order a gm muscle oil pan (but here that there is a clearance issue with that pan on my car) so my spend 200 more and get the Holley one.
6-do i need motor plates that place the motor in the original position or a inch forward. (holley/hooker plates, or a company like S&P, or dingo)
7-what about sensors (car or truck
Any help with these question will help me with getting the motor put back together right and stabbed in the car.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

study this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ro-basics.html

holley and street and performance both have great products for your application , the first car I ever saw an ls swaped into was a 69 camaro ,, probly more of them done than any other car , I have more experience with a-bodies ,, chevelles ,,, but expect alot of great advise here
Old 05-15-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Privpyle
Could you guys please give some advice? I have read so many threads and three books that hit on some of these but not all
Here’s what I have.
68 Camaro that i'm frame off restoring and almost complete.
**ford guy so this is my first chevy and also my first ls motor.**
to start i picked up a lq9 engine 90K miles on it, from a 2004 Cadi Escalade. engine was fully assembled minus Tranny and front brackets or accessories.
I have torn the block down and things went smooth.
-block and heads are at machine shop as we speak.
my questions are about the build of the motor, when to use truck parts and when to convert to car parts. the crank, cam, pistons and heads i'm good with. will go with a stock intake for a LS 6 (or should i use LS2). i will later go with a Fast intake.
1-i know i would go with car style rails and whichever intake but would i use car or truck injectors?
2-I've been told i use a car timing chain and timing cover. do i use the LS2 or LS6 and what year and model motor would i ask for? I believe this is to move the crank senor from the bottom to the top location
3-i have no clue on what Oil pump, water pump, balance i would need to use. do i use the ones for car or truck? what year and model engine would i order them for?
4-i plan on ordering a Holley front accessory kit with all brackets, alt, power steering pump and ac compressor.
5-was going to order a gm muscle oil pan (but here that there is a clearance issue with that pan on my car) so my spend 200 more and get the Holley one.
6-do i need motor plates that place the motor in the original position or a inch forward. (holley/hooker plates, or a company like S&P, or dingo)
7-what about sensors (car or truck
Any help with these question will help me with getting the motor put back together right and stabbed in the car.
Im no expert but ill answer what i can:
1: im not sure on injector, but it will depend on your harness. The harness plug is different for some car and truck injectors so check that out. If you need to space up the rails its easy to get spacers from home depot. If you swap injectors it will need to be changed in the tune
2: For the front cover, if the cam sensor is on the cover, just leave it there. The cover doesn't really matter much. If the cam sensor is on the back of the engine by the oil pressure sensor, then you can use any cover you want
3: For an oil pump get a stock replacement or get a melling, depends on your budget. For water pump and balancer it depends on if you want to stick with truck accesories or not. If you stick with truck accesories, you will have interference with your car intake and you will need a spacer of some sort. Dirty dingo makes one.
4: Should have read this before answering 3 haha.
5: if you bought it already thats not a question
6: I prefer dingo slider plates, you can move it around until you are comfortable with clearances
7: For the most part there is no difference between car and truck sensors

My biggest tip is to use google alot. Chances are someone has built your exact combo. Just search search search, and then post and ask questions last. Good luck!

Quick Reply: **HELP** with LQ9 conversion in 68 Camaro