Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Chevelle - How to mount T56 to LS1 (Write-up inside) - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Chevelle - How to mount T56 to LS1 (Write-up inside) - PLEASE HELP!

Hi all, I would like to do a write-up here on how to install the T56 and related parts to an LS1 block. I am swapping this into my 69 Chevelle and this is my first time. Its hard to find a solid write up in a search so if someone has a link, please share it. I have a few questions to start and also have a list of things I will include in the write up. Write up will include the order to install parts, and the torque specs for my application as well as hardware used etc.

Parts included - Mcleod bellhousing, hydraulic throw out bearing (PN 24264180), LS7 Clutch Kit (PN 24255748), LS2 Flywheel (PN 12571611), GM Pilot Bearing (PN 14061685), Plastic style alignment tool

Questions:
1. Do I have to have the block plate that goes between the block and flywheel? The mcleod housing I bought came mounted to the trans so I do not have this. Wondering if its bad or if I can get away without.

2. My Mcleod housing has starter mounting locations on both side for universal application. Because of this, the Dougs 3336 swap headers hit the bell on both side and fall short about 3/8 inch from mounting completely. I plan to trim the lip a bit on both sides to get them to slide past. Any advice/suggestions.

3. What bolts has everyone used with their mcleod housing since the lip is thinner than stock 4l60e I originally had. The stock bolts were M10x1.5x40mm but I think I need mine to be 1/2 inch shorter. What size do I need and is there a preferred location to purchase them?

4. Are there any precautions, supplies, tools, lubricants, common mishaps advice that you can offer or detailed install threads online? Please share.

Thanks in advance. Many people do this swap so I hope this will be an easy to find and helpful thread.

If you like classics and LS cars FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: @All4Speed

Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  248.0 KB

Name:  image2.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  235.5 KB

Name:  image5.jpeg
Views: 115
Size:  216.8 KB

Name:  image6.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  213.4 KB

Name:  image7.jpeg
Views: 141
Size:  223.3 KB

Name:  3559411E027A707E.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  31.9 KB
Old 06-03-2015, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Name:  Image%201%20cut.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  image%205%20cut.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  22.8 KB
Old 06-04-2015, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

well if nobody is responding, is that because there is a link somewhere that has this write up? can someone share it with me? or a build that has this set up with a detailed write up?

thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 186 Likes on 123 Posts

You could cut the side where there is no starter for clearance. And then simply grind the other side. In reality if you got it from summit... Return it and buy an Fbody alum LS1 bellhousing. Problem solved.

The McLeod BH I believe also requires you to confirm it is centered to the crank. The QuickTime BH doesn't have this issue.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

So I have started this process for swapping a 98 LS1 built up slighly with bolt ons like LS6 intake, LS6 valley cover pcv conversion, Long Tube headers swap dougs headers D3336, double roller chain, LS7 lifters, LS2 trays, LS6 ported oil pump, 243 heads, upgrade springs and chomoly push rods, TSP 228r 112lsa cam, and the first style holley oil pan (302-1) which I am mating with my rebuilt T56 transmission using the McCleod SFI bellhousing. I think I have obtained most of the info I need from research and other threads etc. What I can say right now is that if you have the Mcleod Bellhousing (BH) pn 8710-00 and the block plate / scattershield or whatever you prefer to call it pn 8711-00.... you should probably sell it or get rid of it and go with the QuickTime. I am on a budget and not that patient so I just did the research and am getting ready to go to town on mine.

From research I guess the QuickTime is basically bolt on and go whereas the Mcleod requires mods and more procedures at times than expected and the Mcleod is also no longer manufactured. My trans came with the BH and no block plate so i called Mcleod and they spent 2 days searching and found the LAST 8711 block plate they had in stock which collected tons of dust over the years and they sent it to me, kindly at a nice discount even

The Quicktime is bolt on and also seems to be 13lbs lighter. The Mcleod is no longer produced and requires some cutting to the drivers side starter pocket to fit my headers. The passenger side I cut as well but probably could have grinded it down. the block plate requires the same cuts. The Mcleod also requires slightly shorter screw from the BH to block for mounting. Ive read that it also requires you to check that the BH is centered with the crank whereas the QuickTime does not. I will be posting all the details of this and pics for everyone soon.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Someone mentioned in another thread that the QuickTime is .060 longer than the stock bellhousing and the Mcloed unit is .400 longer than a stock bellhousing. Does this mean I need to make some adustments somewhere like shim the slave/TOB? or what will need to be done here?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 69 Chevelle - How to mount T56 to LS1 (Write-up inside) - PLEASE HELP!