Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E38 oil pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default E38 oil pressure sensor

I have a 2009 ly6 and a 2008 harness, ecm, and tcm. I am modifying the harness and everything is great so far except the oil pressure sensor/sender.

The 08 plug is smaller than the 09 sensor, verified by looking up the parts on NAPA. Apparently a different sensor started in 09. I plan to run the speedhut canbus gauges, which includes an oil pressure gauge.

My question is...is the sensor just a switch? If so, I will ask speedhut if they can make an electronic gauge (not canbus) to match so it reads real oil pressure, not just on/off. I already have the adapter m16 to 1/8 npt from a different project. Thanks!!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Speedhut Revolution gauges. I simply unplugged the pigtail and left it hanging, and then removed the (I guess you'd call it a pigtail?) screwed into the block. Then replaced with the Speedhut sender (with an adapter). No issues at all.

Fair warning though, do not buy cheap adapters. I bought one of those sets with 5 different kinds, and they are some kind of pressed brass, not milled. I cracked one on the first install and leaked oil from the block. I then bought the adapter directly from Speedhut, and it's a high quality part.

Quick Reply: E38 oil pressure sensor