Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS gauge cluster swap with Ls2/ E40 pcm harness?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS gauge cluster swap with Ls2/ E40 pcm harness?

I was wondering if anyone has plugged in a harness from an LS2 with the E40 PCM into a gauge cluster from a LS1 FBody or corvette. Maybe even from one of the trucks?

I'm looking to see if it's possible to swap a GM gauge cluster into my jeep. My LS2/e40 Pcm and and harness are out of an 06 GTO and I've read that the ABS light/alarm are the hang ups because you need the bcm and other things making way more then a simple swap.

I'm looking for an alternative to custom gauges and to keep it simple if possible.

If it is possible to plug in, any other hang ups people experience. I tried searching but couldn't find anything specific. I can't be the first person to consider this.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

For most all of the pre CAN bus gauge clusters the BCM runs the oil pressure and temp gauges based on serial data provided by the ECM.

You may be able to find an older cluster from a vehicle that was built before they started using BCM's but has the electronic speedo and tach. Maybe something from the Mid 1990's. Those gauges would use regular resistance senders and the speedo will read the pulse from the newer PCM.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there any particular reason you don't want to use your stock cluster? I'm putting an LS2/E40 from a 2006 GTO into a 1998 BMW and I'll be able to make the entire stock cluster functional.

The oil pressure sender on the 2006 LS2 does provide oil pressure data to the E40 computer, but the computer does not need that data to operate properly. You can remove the stock oil pressure sender, have the error code tuned out of the E40 and replace the GM sender with the stock Jeep sender to make the oil pressure gauge (or idiot light) in your stock cluster functional.

There is a plug in the passenger side cylinder head. You can remove that plug and insert a Jeep water temp sender (with whatever thread adapter is necessary) to make you stock water temp gauge (or idiot light) functional.

You should be able to make your tach read correctly with a Dakota Digital tach interface. There are solutions available for the speedo too, depending on what trans you're running.

Your fuel gauge should be unaffected.

Tipsy
Old 07-05-2015, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

He might be trying to get around the issue of the Jeep cluster being completely driven by the PCM after the 1996 model year. No way to make those work without keeping the Jeep PCM tied into the system.

Otherwise your suggestions are the tried and true method for making old school analog gauges work.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Docked Wage
He might be trying to get around the issue of the Jeep cluster being completely driven by the PCM after the 1996 model year. No way to make those work without keeping the Jeep PCM tied into the system.
You're probably right. Since he doesn't indicate what vehicle he's swapping into, other than the "XJ" in his user name, I could only assume his vehicle could be as old as 1984.

Tipsy
Old 07-06-2015, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Okay so I may of started this thread a little prematurely. I spent the holiday weekend reading as much as I could about using a stock gauge cluster from an 06 GTO.

The powertrain is going into a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. Powertrain is an 06 LS2/4l65e. Computer is E40.

My jeep dash will not allow me to have a tach. From my understanding the Dakota digital doesnt work with a jeep cluster. Theres a company called Novak that makes a "magic box" to convert the tach signal from the a GM GenIII to the dash but it only works on GenIII engines. The LS2 is more like Gen3.5 then a GenIV but it doesnt look like they can do it yet. I was just curious about other options, especially an option where you can use nearly all the functions from the GM computer to GM cluster.

I found a thread that has been extremely helpfull, which led me to couple other threads. It looks like it can be done but the ABS warning is the main work around.

In hopes that i didnt create another thread with a dead end... heres some links.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...2-install.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ge-module.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...abs-fault.html
Old 07-06-2015, 01:38 AM
Teching In

I actually found the BCM from the donor car but doesnt look like they have the PIM. Anyone know if you can use one from an 04 GTO or where i would get a new one. I know a different PIM would have to be "synced" with my ECU and BCM. Having a hard time finding them online and i havent called any of the local dealerships yet.

Quick Reply: LS gauge cluster swap with Ls2/ E40 pcm harness?