Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 into 81 El Camino... Smog Legal

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LQ9 into 81 El Camino... Smog Legal

So the project I'm working on is an 81 GMC Caballero (El Camino) and swapping in an LQ4/4L60 combo. The owner wants the car to be smog legal so therefore I have a couple questions for the Pre-OBD swap guys and the G-Body Swap guys. I will post up pictures of the swap shortly.

1. Check Engine Light, what are you guys doing for this? My Idea was to use an LED for this
2. Fuel Tank. Need to have one that will have the pressure sensor and fuel pump as the OBD2 cars would.
3. PCM location. Where are you putting the PCM. I've seen a couple G Bodies put the PCM on the driver fender. Can you post pics of these?
Old 07-21-2015, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

81 good chance it has a check engine light, verify it does or doesn't before getting too creative, otherwise it's just a ground to turn the light on, led works just fine. If it does have a check light get a diagram as you'll have to remove the check light driver to make it work right. Should be very straight forward. I did a b body but ecu mounted on the drivers fender in front. I made a bracket and stuck the stock truck canister under the ecu, which also has the evap pressure sensor in it. Since your using an lq9 truck engine that solves your pressure sensor issue. I also mounted the canister vent solenoid riight next to the canister. I used a road master wagon tank as my b body was a wagon and it was bolt in. There was an elcamino that was EFI, with a 4.3. Maybe source one of those tanks and sender?

Quick Reply: LQ9 into 81 El Camino... Smog Legal