Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS70SS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the new rad this weekend with pass side in/out. Also went to the junkyard with hookemdevils and we scored a couple Volvo fans. Only messed with it for a few mins but I THINK I got the mounting figured out and the mods to the shroud should be pretty quick n easy

Volvo 900 Series

Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

That looks familiar!
Old 08-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Teching In

it was a bit of a day, but we ended up with 2 of them...hookemdevils may change his out too. I do like your idea bandit about making the shroud and centering the fan. I would like to do a dual intake tube so it would look and clear better. Im going to fit it as is and then may have a buddy make me an aluminum shroud.

It is starting to get to the point that as I feel I get closer to completion, I find a way to add or change things...which is part of the fun also.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

You may want to mock things up in the car before you finalize positioning of the fan, to get an idea of where your intake and radiator hoses are going to route. The reason I made a custom shroud instead of using the Volvo shroud was to move my fan toward the driver's side. I needed the offset to make room for my intake elbow, which I am routing to the passenger side. Clearances with both the upper radiator hose and the intake tubing are pretty tight on my car. I am using 1/2" setback adapters and truck-spaced accessories. Centering the fan would not work for me. You may need something different since your radiator hoses are both on the passenger side.

You can find photos of my fan and hose/tube clearances here.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Teching In

I am really trying to look ahead for issues as I go and I was paying close attn to your build the other night when we first started looking into this fan. Been a great help so far. thanks for the heads up. The dual intake tube is because I have 2 holes in core support from previous setup. I would really like to utilize them but the hard part is fitting a filter between support and grille. gotta find something useful.
Attached Thumbnails LS70SS  Build Thread-20150808_202411.jpg  
Old 08-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

killer swap
Old 08-24-2015, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

looks like someone read bandit's thread more closely that I did. I'm still up in the air with swapping out fans - the Volvo units use the same fan/motor as the Taurus fan I have - but I couldn't pass it up for the price ($15 with the relay!).

Dewey, we won't need to use the 11-pin connector - I plan to modify the OE fuse box to limit the number of holes we need to drill in the firewall.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Ok guys...looking for a lil help. I am TRYING to plan out my intake setup. the picture is the old "rv ******* tubing" setup that was on the SBC. 2 holes in the core support I would like to utilize. My issue is that between the core support and grill is VERY limited in size. I have emailed K&N for help also. I did find what they call a panel filter but not in the 4 or 5" size I need. would be easy to set up a mount system. Any other ideas how to filter this bad boy? Im not a fan of the inline tube either...too bulky.
Attached Thumbnails LS70SS  Build Thread-2012-10-11_11-40-46_563.jpg  
Old 08-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Teching In

The email to K&N was worthless. They sent me a link to search for filter myself...which is what I have been trying to do this entire time without any luck. Apparently "technical support" doesnt mean the same to them.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

you're trying to fit a filter to the core support? maybe build a pair of boxes to house the filters, one per side. then run standard cone filters. in a Y like this spectre setup.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Teching In

I saw that setup but that still leaves 2 4" holes in the support. Im not sure what Im going to do yet. gonna try not to stress about it yet. still pretty bummed that K&N was not willing to help.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Well you gotta remember that most of K&N's customers are installing a pre-designed, bolt-on cold air intake kit. They just aren't in the custom fabrication market. You are going to have to come up with something on your own here.

There just isn't much room in between the engine and the radiator on this car. Once you add the fan(s) and radiator hoses, your options for routing intake tubing are limited and you may not have space for both a MAF and filters. If you want to replicate your old setup, you could switch to a carb-style intake manifold equipped for fuel injection, eliminate MAF (not my first choice), and run exactly the same traditional style filter housing and tubing. If you want to stick to a front-mounted throttlebody, then you are probably going to have to piece something together. I would try not to get too hung up on reusing the old holes.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I get that. I guess I was expecting at least an attempt of "technical support" from them.
"Custom Made Air Filters
K&N's Custom Air Filter Program was designed to help consumers with unique air filter needs where no air filter alternative was available. Our Custom Air Filter Program offers more than a million custom air filter combinations for your special need."

I still have 1 last idea before I ditch the idea 100%, I just dont know if it will restrict the air too much. I have a call out to a company here locally that I found on instagram that can build the tubing I want. what if I used something like the top of this filter and covered the hole on supports? too restricted? Air would be filtered before tubing but not sure the flow would be great.

I really do appreciate the insight, I just get frustrated by companies that dont help and throw out a link..especially when they have what is quoted on their site
Attached Thumbnails LS70SS  Build Thread-kn.jpg  
Old 08-31-2015, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

You might try a pair of these:
http://www.spectreperformance.com/cat/air-boxes-inline

They don't flow nearly as much as a normal sized cone filter, but if you have two of them it may be enough.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

I like this ^. Give it a shot, see if you can attache them to Spectre's Nova dual inlet.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Teching In

I have seen those. My buddy put them on his 55 awhile back. the 4" is 10.1" long and for what I was thinking...it would prob be too long. As we are finding out, I just might have to go a different direction very soon lol. I might focus on a few other things before it frustrates me too much. Im going to spend some time out in the garage this weekend, maybe I can figure some things out.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Well, I had a pretty expensive setback this week. When I bought the trans, the trans shop asked if I was going hydraulic or staying mechanical clutch. At the time, I figured Id save some money and stick with what I knew already worked. For you that have done this before, you are probably already shaking your head at me. He made it sound like it would work with no issues. Well, I found the issue. It was pointed out to me that there is no place on the block for the pivot ball. I confronted the trans guy and told me I could weld something to the block. LIL LATE NOW BUDDY!!!! Its painted and also in the damn car. So this weekend I had to pull the trans to get it ready for the hydraulic clutch. Took a measurement so hopefully get that kit ordered this week.

Also got my console re wrapped and the future a/c vents installed and Im 95% happy. glue soaked through a couple spots but Ill run it for awhile before I redo it. Also need to get a shift boot made out of the same fabric.

And the biggest deal to me this weekend...I FINALLY figured out how to mount my computer. Tucked up under the dash above the ash tray. Put a little bit of carpet on the bottom to keep it from having metal/metal contact. Has enough angle to be pretty easily accessed and to bolt the harness up.

all in all...little bit of progress this weekend.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Nice ride man!!! I'm about to start mine and this is super motivational thanks for sharing.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Thank you. This site was a huge help to me so I am glad to try and return the favor...if even just one tiny little bit. Good luck to you.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

so PCM is mounted just a few degrees from vertical, with the connectors pointing downward? it's tough to make out what's up with those under-dash pics.

i still need to do my mount. Luckily it's going on the trans hump, so it'll be an easier install than what you've got.

Quick Reply: LS70SS Build Thread