Chevy S-10 LS1 4L60E SWAP HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy S-10 LS1 4L60E SWAP HELP

First i want to say hello to everyone because i'm new user. Hello

At the begining:
I had '99 Camaro Z28, few months ago i crashed my love ( R.I.P[*]) and take off some parts - like LS1 with 4L60E. I dont know what to do with. Alwyas my dream was to have my own chevy pick up with V8. Now i have occassion to buy '98 S-10 without an engine, and i thinking about this project.

I have a questions - What i need to swap LS1 + 4L60E in to S-10 ? It's very expensive to do it ? I'm not a mechanic so i dont know, and before i do something i want to know everything because i have really low budget

Any advice ?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english - im from eastern europe
Old 09-11-2015, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Its not a cheap swap, there is very little room to work with and fabrication & frame modifications are involved. It is an awesome swap if done properly but it takes time and money to do it right. There are numerous ways to do the swap so you need to spend some time reading and doing research on successful builds. There is a boat load of information on these swaps on here and other forums. There are a number of them driving around as well.

I love s10 swaps so if you decide to go through with it, make sure you post a build thread.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not cheap if you go about it a certain way. You can really junk yard it up and make it work for cheap if you know what you are doing but like you said you aren't a mechanic so It will be a little harder to go that route. You can save yourself alot of money if you build your own wiring harness and make all your own crossmembers.

This forum can help you alot, if you look at the top of the page there are stickes on what all needs to be done and several different ways of doing it.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/lsx-discussion/
Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Tuckin15s your username made me chuckle. I like it.
You can certainly certainly make it work for less money using junkyard parts and the like. However, I've yet to meet an LS-S10 owner with a junkyard special that didn't have some obnoxious lingering issue or issues with the vehicle OR they were running stock brakes and/or stock suspension which I consider dangerous and stupid in a V8S10. The stock brakes and suspension are a joke even with the stock drive train and those systems are usually rather expensive to replace with systems that are up to the task.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with junkyard parts as long as they are used appropriately and are still of decent quality. I guess my point is no one is happy with a bunch of JY parts slapped together just so you can have a LS-S10, no one is happy with a compromise of a vehicle. Its not an easy undertaking so just do it right the first time. That doesn't mean only buying and using the most expensive billet **** that you can find, you just need to be smart about the parts selection and where you use cheaper ****.

Maybe its just me but over the years i've noticed that people seem to think an S10 swap is super easy, super cheap and can be done in a weekend or two. It couldn't be further from the truth. Someone who works full time, isn't a mechanic and doesn't have a welder will have significant time and money into an S10 swap. Before i sold my S10 (still have the LS1 and a 4L80e) i was planning this swap and bought a bunch of parts. My estimates put me at 8k and 2yrs to complete the project. That's total project cost not including cost of the vehicle, motor is cam only, working 12hrs/week on the weekends only, doing most fabrication myself, no bodywork, no paint or aesthetics. I estimate and schedule commercial construction projects for a living so my spreadsheets and schedules are usually pretty damn close. From what i hear from people who have a LS-S10 that doesn't overheat, actually gets traction, handles and stops well... my cost estimate is pretty solid. Time will vary depending on many things.

That was a bit of a rant, i'm on coffee #5 this morning.

Quick Reply: Chevy S-10 LS1 4L60E SWAP HELP