Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Air Conditioner low mount with Corvette balancer

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vintage Air Conditioner low mount with Corvette balancer

I have a 68 Camaro. It has an LQ4, upon which I've slapped a CTSV/ZL1 blower. I have the CTSV/ZL1 balancer, which is the same belt spacing as the Corvette. I just ordered my Gen IV kit, with the Sanden 508 compressor. I got the Alan Grove 141811 bracket. The idea is to run the belt on the inner groove (which is now running nothing). It has to be a low mount because the upper mount will interfere with the blower. But, despite that I have my conversion brackets on the front position, I believe the compressor will contact the motor mounts. I don't know yet, because I am waiting for the kit.

Does anyone know if the SD508 will hit a frame or motor mount if you run it on the first groove of a corvette balancer? Is there any other solution, such as an SD7 compressor or bracket?
Old 09-19-2015, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rp0029
I have a 68 Camaro. It has an LQ4, upon which I've slapped a CTSV/ZL1 blower. I have the CTSV/ZL1 balancer, which is the same belt spacing as the Corvette. I just ordered my Gen IV kit, with the Sanden 508 compressor. I got the Alan Grove 141811 bracket. The idea is to run the belt on the inner groove (which is now running nothing). It has to be a low mount because the upper mount will interfere with the blower. But, despite that I have my conversion brackets on the front position, I believe the compressor will contact the motor mounts. I don't know yet, because I am waiting for the kit.

Does anyone know if the SD508 will hit a frame or motor mount if you run it on the first groove of a corvette balancer? Is there any other solution, such as an SD7 compressor or bracket?

Check out my build thread , u'll c that I used Alan Grove low mount AC bracket & I positioned the motor 1.25 forward from stock location & I cut some of the crossmember 2 gain clearance & it's close 2 motor mount but mine cleared. I have the SD508 compressor.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garrysturbo
Check out my build thread , u'll c that I used Alan Grove low mount AC bracket & I positioned the motor 1.25 forward from stock location & I cut some of the crossmember 2 gain clearance & it's close 2 motor mount but mine cleared. I have the SD508 compressor.
I hope that works for me. The vintage kit should be coming this week. My engine is only 1" forward, so I may hit the frame mounts. I don't want to run the sd7. It doesn't have the cooling capacity. Is there a high mount kit that works for the LSA setup?
Old 09-23-2015, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rp0029
I hope that works for me. The vintage kit should be coming this week. My engine is only 1" forward, so I may hit the frame mounts. I don't want to run the sd7. It doesn't have the cooling capacity. Is there a high mount kit that works for the LSA setup?

That I don't know but it won't hurt 2 try installing it , but remember that the ports where the line screws onto the rear side of compressor. It's close @ 9:00 position , so mine might hit the subframe , but if it does , I planned on drilling thru the sub frame & weld a tube to the hole cut out for strength & run lines thru the tube & connect it to compressor. It might be different but we share the same sub frame. Good luck & let me know how it worked out 4 u.

Quick Reply: Vintage Air Conditioner low mount with Corvette balancer