Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help putting 5th Gen Camaro Fuel pump in 68 Camaro Tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

11" fully expanded is correct. 9-9.5" fully compressed. When I compressed mine, I noticed one of the fuel lines seemed to kink so I shortened it to avoid that issue. I have the 4th gen bucket in a 1978-1981 f body tank with the top recessed (~1.5") to clear trunk floor.

Ryan- great to hear you have another project car- good luck..any pics?

Leon
Old 02-04-2016, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

That is why for a 1st gen fbody the 5th gen pump is a better candidate than the 4th gen. The 5th gen pump is 7" fully expanded and around 5.5" fully compressed. Since the 1st gen pumps are around 8" tall where the pump would go, that makes them perfect to put a recessed panel in for a very clean install. Also, from the info I gather, the stock 5th gen pump is an equivalent of a Walbro 255, so even with some engine modifications the pump will keep up with fuel demand.

In a 2nd gen, the 4th gen Fbody pump is definitely the way to go. I went with that pump on my 76 LS1 swap and the only thing I would do differently would be what Leon did and recess the pump into the tank so I wouldn't have to cut my trunk floor.

Leon, the 68 Camaro is a project that someone started, and now I am re-doing some of the work and repairing poorly done work. It is going to be a nice car when it's done, but going to take me a while as I am only working on it a few hours a week. I already have the 6.0/6 speed combo, with everything for the complete swap but the oil pan. Once the rust is gone, I should be able to just install it and go! I should be starting a build thread soon. Once I get it done, we will have to meet at one of the cruise-in's in Elmira.

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 02-05-2016, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan,

I am sorta paralleling this thread with my other thread on the Spectra fuel tank issues. Looking forward to your build thread for your 68. It looks like I want to try the 5th gen module in my 69.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Hi there,

I am sure there is a good site out there somewhere that can illustrate what I am looking to do. I have searched all over the internet and haven't come up with exactly what I am looking for. When I did the LS1 swap on my 76 Trans Am I used a Vetteworks adapter to put in my stock tank. I am hoping to either use that company again as I see they have an adapter for the 5th gen pump, but want to see how others have installed them. Does anyone have a build with pictures??

Thanks,
Ryan
Hey Ryan, can you post pics of the 76 fuel tank you converted? I'm looking into doing something very similar but im still waiting for activation on the thread you linked.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

All the content on that site was lost unfortunately. I'll need to rebuild that. In the meantime, see here on post #228.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...sto-Mod/page12
The following users liked this post:
buicksWILD (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
All the content on that site was lost unfortunately. I'll need to rebuild that. In the meantime, see here on post #228.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...sto-Mod/page12
Thanks! I really appreciate it!!!

Quick Reply: Help putting 5th Gen Camaro Fuel pump in 68 Camaro Tank