Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post Your Pick-n-Pull Creativity

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! An indoor PYP! It just doesn't get any better than that...
Old 08-29-2016, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
You would think so, but in reality, it's so dark in there that you can't really see anything, and the roof leaks, and the concrete floor is covered in a thick mud/water/grease/oil concoction that is horrible, and being inside means it almost never dries up! Luckily only part of it is indoors.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Did this wire directly to the original Nova wiper switch?
I have an AAW wiring kit in the car so I don't think so. Couldn't get the park to work either? But it's not used mech.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Originally Posted by ls1nova71
You would think so, but in reality, it's so dark in there that you can't really see anything, and the roof leaks, and the concrete floor is covered in a thick mud/water/grease/oil concoction that is horrible, and being inside means it almost never dries up! Luckily only part of it is indoors.
Yeah, the indoor PNP yard is a little weird and creepy. Hahaha Plus you think a normal PNP yard is dirty, let me introduce you to an entirely new level of grime!

I've snagged so much stuff from PNP yards I would need a spreadsheet to share and cross reference it all.

First that comes to mind is hydroboost units. Always useful for compact quarters and low vacuum situations. (Thanks for the tip E.)

Another favourite is random harness connectors and fuel fittings. I'm on a budget plus AN fittings and braided hose are insanely priced so I reuse OEM fittings and buy replacement nylon hose for the flex joints. I have a crimp tool that does OEM push lock flares so I use the fittings everywhere I need a disconnect.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of my pnp adaptations are not LSx related, but i have an entire build thread if you want to see parts from a dozen other things made into a pro touring masterpiece, and i have also adapted a Nissan FS5W71C to a Chevy 350.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Isolde
Most of my pnp adaptations are not LSx related, but i have an entire build thread if you want to see parts from a dozen other things made into a pro touring masterpiece, and i have also adapted a Nissan FS5W71C to a Chevy 350.
Feel free to post some examples of your creativity here.

Tipsy
Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
mostly i just PnP for LS engines, but I did this narrowed crown vic crossmember under my squarebody turbo truck

Now that took some thought. The Fast N Loud guys use that IFS on a lot of builds. Nice work!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

I have a lumina steering wheel on my car, they look sporty as all get out. Mine had a silver bowtie, my car is red.

I found a lumina with a red bowtie in the yard but both door handles were broke off! I took a brace I found and tried prying the door, I got about a 3-4 inch gap but I couldn't reach the horn button through it. I didn't want to bust the window because I wasn't sure how they would feel about that so I got to looking around and grabbed the jack out of the truck and cranked that door enough to pull my button off.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.rx7club.com/build-threads...-more-1072610/
Old 09-20-2016, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

hey does anyone have an idea on what to look at for a sway bar for my crown vic IFS swap?
it's narrowed 5" so it needs to be around 49" end to end. crown vics use a jointed link that bolts to a hole in the bar end, and then into the spindle itself.

the hole would need to be oriented vertically ( i.e. in plane with the wheels)

thanks.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Cut it off, sleeve it and plug weld it back together.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

I haven't gotten much creatively wise, but I get stuff cheap. The usual windstar fans for 10 bucks, volvo relays for 2 or less, 243 heads for 150, BMW battery cables and temperature sensors, 80s gm weatherproof relays, Jeep GC steering box and stuff like that. I got my Rainier 5.3 complete with accessories, harness, ecm, bcm, tcm, pedal, intake, etc for 250 because it ran but made noise.

I did get one of the third brake lights off an envoy that I may paint and add a magnetic strip to for my Cutlass. My son got a Subaru hood scoop he put on his Cherokee. He's done a lot more creative stuff with junkyard parts.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Cut it off, sleeve it and plug weld it back together.

i tried that and it twisted right off no matter what i did
Old 09-28-2017, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One year BUMP
Old 09-28-2017, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Pick-n-pull

Building non-mainstream street rods REQUIRE a bunch of junk yard cruising. We no longer have a yard in this area and the nearest is El Paso 90 miles away. Would like to get a new set of seat but it would take at least a day of looking to find what I want and then pull, tote and travel. This would take two days just for some seats. Feel lucky if you have one in your area.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Other than the stuff posted above, I think the most creative thing I have done from parts I grabbed from a PNP yard is grafting a fuel pump ring onto my '68 Camaro fuel tank. I cut the top of a '09 Colorado so I could mount a 5th gen Camaro fuel pump assembly to use with my LS swap.

Turned this:

Into this:

It turned out great, and works flawlessly running the motor in my car.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

You opeedn the door for this mod for a lot of guys back when you did that!

Last edited by Jimbo1367; 10-01-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

i found a lincoln black wood today with all the stainless steal liners in the bed ... im building a square body c10 and wished i could think of somthing to do with all that stain less steal....but sadly i left it at the yard.....i see jaguar rear ends all the time .
Old 10-01-2017, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

No creativity involved but I sure like finding GM 4-note horns on the old land yachts.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Lots of little odds and ends not worth mentioning -- but, a couple that I thought worked out well....

Figured if the upper torque arms at the rear were capable of handling multiplied torque at the back, they'd be up to motor mount duty. So I pulled two from the yard off of an early 90's Volvo (keep it in the family), cut them in half and then modified for use at motor mounts and a torque strap. Some pics below.

Here they are cut in half and test fit into the engine plates/ears....

Post Your Pick-n-Pull Creativity-lujbsx4.jpg

Since I cut 2 in half, I had 4 "ends" - but only needed 3 (2 mtr mounts and one torque strap). So I altered the 4th end with a threaded adjuster and used it for mock up to determine precise mount length.

Post Your Pick-n-Pull Creativity-bf95ury.jpg

Here they are tacked...

Post Your Pick-n-Pull Creativity-reghdec.jpg

And fully welded with gussets and mounting plates - they bolt into the stock motor mount locations in the Volvo crossmember...

Post Your Pick-n-Pull Creativity-qnbcn38.jpg

And the torque arm - which bolts to the front, driver's side of the head and to the driver's side frame rail. You can see it just below the picture/left side of the coolant reservoir.

Post Your Pick-n-Pull Creativity-3ekvbwn.jpg

Post Your Pick-n-Pull Creativity-m83ilb1.jpg

From time to time at car shows and cruise-ins, the wind would try to whip the hood open or blow it shut. The springs hold it open fine, but the wind can cause problems and potentially damage. So I picked up all the hood prop hardware off of some obscure little Mitsubishi model and modified it for my needs. Bent the end and drilled it to attach a spring-clip. Fabbed a little grommeted opening for it to fit into. Place prop through and pin it in place. Rod is mounted in rubber on each end -- hood ain't goin' nowhere.

Post Your Pick-n-Pull Creativity-xizqyzm.jpg

Post Your Pick-n-Pull Creativity-vmxpz4u.jpg

Last edited by Michael Yount; 10-03-2017 at 04:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Post Your Pick-n-Pull Creativity