Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some guidance on wire harness modifications and pcm tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some guidance on wire harness modifications and pcm tune

I am nearing the end of my project and I am currently tackling my electrical. I have taken the powertrain from a 2005 GTO and placed it into a 1969 Firebird. This includes the engine/transmission, dash/gauges, BCM, HVAC and fuel tank. I have utilized most of the components from the donor GTO but have a couple items I have to delete. I will not be using the air bags, ABS or traction control. It is my understanding I can have the PCM retuned to delete these systems, but I still have all the wiring in place. If cut the wheel sensor and air bag wiring from the system will it have any effect on any of the remaining systems. My thinking is that cutting them from the system would be no different than leaving them in place unattached.

I have the service manual for the GTO with all the wiring diagrams and feel cable in reading them. I know which wires go where but did not want to start cutting things that are necessary for the PCM or BCM to function properly. I will also be substituting in the Firebirds factory lights in place of the GTOs, deleting the power mirror and fuel door, and splicing in nu-relic power windows.

Would love some input from anyone that has done something similar or more knowledgeable than I. I have done a ton of searching and couldn't really find any information that helped. I would also appreciate any recommendations on a good place to send my PCM to get the systems tuned out.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

there are plenty of articles out there on what to do. The book "how to swap a LS into anything" can be found on amazon or at your local barnes and noble. hardest part is to find a large table to lay everything out.

http://www.lsenginediy.com/ls-swaps-...wiring-guide/#

as for PCM, speartech provides great tuning.

Here is a link to a guy I know, very good. His username on transamcountry is the same on ls1tech. he may be able to guide you a little bit. I would trust him all day long...so nothing to worry about. lots of scammers out there-horror stories about peoples harness getting all messed up.

http://transamcountry.com/community/...?topic=69035.0
Old 02-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reed, Thank you for the links. I have heard good things about Speartech and will probably be using them for my ECM reflash/tune. I have found tons of articles that relate to making stand alone LS engine harnesses. Since I am using the dash and BCM out of the GTO I do not need to make the stand alone.

From the information I have found it appears as though I can do a "wire diet" for most the unused systems. In regards to the ABS connector I was told I need to make some jumpers from pins 45 to 35, then another from 14 to 25. I have not pulled out my pin diagram yet to see which wires they are.

I then plan to have the ECM tuned to have VATS and TCS deactivated and the warnings for ABS and Air bags turned off. And set the speedo to the new gears and tire size. Hopefully this should get me where I need to be.

Quick Reply: Need some guidance on wire harness modifications and pcm tune