Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

142 tooth flywheel for the LS1???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 142 tooth flywheel for the LS1???

I want to use a 142 tooth flywheel in my next swap. I noticed tilton makes a starter for this application (54-20057 SUPER STARTER, SEVERE DUTY, CHEVY V8 (142T RING GEAR), DRIVERS-SIDE MOUNT ) now the question is will I have to have a standard flywheel turned down to fit the smaller ring gear or is there one that bolts up?

second question is the flange and bolt circle the same on the LS1 as it is on gen II and III SBC?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 895 Posts

You can't just turn down a flywheel. The ring gear is pressed on. To make things harder, the bolt pattern and the crank hub registers are different for the LS1. There are also no previsions for a drivers side starter on the block.

Andrew
Old 12-14-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Don't see why I couldn't turn down a stock flywheel to the size needed for a 142 tooth flywheel install that ring gear and have it re-ballanced. I don't plan on mounting the starter to the block. it will be mounted to my adapter plate using a GTO front sump pan( this is what GM did in their front wheel drive ls1 proto type). this SBC142 tooth flywheel seems to be a pro stock application so I didn't know if they started making this for ls1 cranks as well. I also didn't know if the flange was the same from gen II SBC. I knew they were different from the earlier two piece seal type.

Quick Reply: 142 tooth flywheel for the LS1???