Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 conversion via 928 Seen any?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 conversion via 928 Seen any?

I know I read about one but didn't see the car on the net. I know the 928 is around 3600 pounds so it wouldn't be a real burner but there is just something about the look. Just my opinion. The cost of the car is more than some would like to see but still a conversion I would like to look into. I just sold my 3RD gen Rx7 and am just looking around for another project. The idea of a larger car at my age is appealing. I know renegade has a set up but has anyone seen how the turn out. I surely would like to use a T56 and not the 928 automatic or even the stick. Renegade says the 928 stick is strong enough to handle a stock-ish LS1 however. Any one have some info??
Old 03-09-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does the 928 have a transaxle like the 944? I always liked the headlights on the 928. It was a cool car on its own, so an LS1 powered one would be even better.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

The 928 uses a transaxle as well.

Andrew
Old 03-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Default renegade....

well i own the joint.... and we do sell a conversion for the NON LS-1 small blocks, the LS-1 is too light. i am however considering a 6.0 but have not done all the number crunching for weight differences between the two motors. i own a 928 myself and road race it very agressivly. the trans hold up quite nice, i havent had any problems yet and i am running 450 horsepower and 425 ft/pounds torque, running 285/30/18's, and i drive it very hard. the problem with a different trans is that the tunnel is way too narrow, sure it can be modified, but that is not a very simple thing if its going to be a driver, racecar, different story!!! the biggest problem with the alum ls-1 motor swap in the 928 is the weight diff, you would end up with a tail heavy car and it would handle like crap, that is something that is huge on my list. again, racecar, wight can be removed from the back of the car and the balance can be retained, but a car that is already a PERFECT 50/50 balance, well its a real shame to upset those kinds of numbers. as for the weight of the cars, mine is FULL street dress, a/c stereo, cd changer the whole nine yards, full of fuel, sitting on slicks, ready to load on the trailer to go racing it weighs in at 3321. and as for the balance, rear axle weighs in at 1671 (full of fuel) and that leaves the from axle at 1650. the side to side weight is within 2 pounds. this car and all 928's are bad! i love mine. im just starting on a full race car for myself, of course a 928. by the way, really looking for one? i have a sweet car for sale, its a stock, 1981 928 gards red, 5 speed nice car, 2500. let me know if u really want one. they are a sweet ride, mine feels better at 190 than it does at 90, and thats no bull!!!!

Quick Reply: LS1 conversion via 928 Seen any?