Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vortec to ls1 manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortec to ls1 manifold?

Has anybody done a vortec truck manifold to an ls1 camaro manifold swap? What all is involved in this besides the manifold and fuel rail? can the same sensors be used etc,etc. need any help I can get please! thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 07:13 AM
11 Second Truck Club

The vortec motors are a completely different design (they are regular old sbc's) then the gen 3 motors. The manifolds are not interchangeable. What are you trying to achieve?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Launching!

The 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 are Vortec engines. I'm not for sure but it appears they use the same sensors.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Teching In

sorry for the lack of info I meant a 5.3L vortec motor.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To change it over you will need the basics like you said. You may want to check over @ ls1truck.com and see what they have to say. I know the LS Vortec uses a different injector than the LS1. I would think the injector driver is the same but make sure. It's nothing a custom program couldn't fix I'm sure if there is a problem but doubtful. Also on the Vortec motors how do they regulate fuel pressure? Is it on the rail or elsewhere? May have to use a 97-98 fuel rail depending. That's about all I can think of at the moment.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Teching In

thanks kossuth! I plan on getting a 97 vette fuel rail to mount the regulator somewhere on the truck, and was hoping i could use the same sensors and stuff from the old manifold to the new one. I imagine it kinda basic but would rather hear from others before I run into problems.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:44 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Duh, I wasn't even thinking about the late model motors. Chevy has been using the word Vortec since at least back in the 1980's. To me it doesn't mean anything to me.

Anyways, I just did the swap you are talking about and it wasn't too bad. The map sensor is different (but uses the same plug) and the evap system is a little different but again uses the same electrical plug. I used a 98 vette fuel rail because I needed a return line and the lines on the rail interfere with the truck coils. Nothing a little manipulation can't fix (read: bend the crap out of it to make it work) truck injectors won't work-they are too short. The injector plugs are different between the two. Thats about all I can think of right now
Old 03-14-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Instead Of Useing The 97 Vette Fuel Rail I Would Suggest Useing A F Body Fuel Rail And A 99=up Vette Fuel Filter/regulator. The Regulator Is Built Into The Filter And Cost 36 Dollars I Think
Old 03-14-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a few things you will run into:

the steam lines will interfear with the throttle body when using an LS1 (f body) intake. also, the belt routing will not working with the LS1 intake.

the upper radiator hose comes out horizontal on the Fbody water pump, and comes starait up on the truck water pump, you maybe able to get by, but I know the belt routing will not working with the LS1 intake.

I have a 6.0L in my 67 chevy pickup, using stock belt routing. I tried to put a LS1 intake on it and it will not clear. I'm not sure if stock LS1 (fbody) accessorys will fit on the 99 up trucks..have never looked into that.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by busta9876
a few things you will run into:

the steam lines will interfear with the throttle body when using an LS1 (f body) intake. also, the belt routing will not working with the LS1 intake.

the upper radiator hose comes out horizontal on the Fbody water pump, and comes starait up on the truck water pump, you maybe able to get by, but I know the belt routing will not working with the LS1 intake.

I have a 6.0L in my 67 chevy pickup, using stock belt routing. I tried to put a LS1 intake on it and it will not clear. I'm not sure if stock LS1 (fbody) accessorys will fit on the 99 up trucks..have never looked into that.
Just to add to this. The steam tube is only like $30 or so, (<--recommends getting the LS6 one). As for the accessories, they are similarly placed on a truck as they are on a fbody, but again that is how it looks. One inch here or there can make a world of difference obviously. Another thing to look into is are the fbody and truck balancers the same??? If not and you change drive components you will have to change that too. One other thing I just thought of. Do the trucks still use the reciprocating ball steering vs the rack and pinion steering? If that is the case the fbody PS pump may over feed the truck steering box and boil the PS fluid. I have no experience, but I'm kinda worried about the PS issue with my truck. I have heard about it with some of the 3rd gen swappers and being the S10 box is a 3rd gen box I'm sure I may have the same problems. But I have not done this swap so others will have to chime in to say if something is or is not a concern, but I'm just throwing thoughts out there.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have used the stock LT1 pump from a 1993 (power rack) on my 1962 impala, which used a valve and cylinder for power assist, and I used that same pump in my 67 chevy pickup for power steering. with no problems. I later installed that same engine and power steering pump into a 3rd gen F body, wich uses the old type steering box, and have had no problems with it at all.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by busta9876
I have used the stock LT1 pump from a 1993 (power rack) on my 1962 impala, which used a valve and cylinder for power assist, and I used that same pump in my 67 chevy pickup for power steering. with no problems. I later installed that same engine and power steering pump into a 3rd gen F body, wich uses the old type steering box, and have had no problems with it at all.
I did the opposite swap, I put an LS6 intake on a 6.0l. Go to the Truck Performance section and search on ls6 intake swap. The date is 1-24-2005. There are some pics as well.You may find it to be of some help. I am not done yet, I am waiting for a set of spacers to move forward, the stock LS1 water pump, so it will line up with the truck accessories drive. There is a difference in the alternator and power stering pump location from an LS1 to the truck LQ4. There is a difference in the harness, due to the different locations of these items as well as different injector connectors. If you use the LS1 water pump, you need an electric fan, there is no provision on the pulley to mount an mechanical fan. Send me a PM if you have any questions.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Default vent tube

does anybody have the part number for that cylinder head vent tube that gets rid of pockets of air from the heads? I need it from a ls1 engine for my conversion, thanks

Quick Reply: vortec to ls1 manifold?