Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel/oil/shifter location on 69 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel/oil/shifter location on 69 camaro?

Alright guys - well I can't find this information on this forum, so I hope it isn't a repost. My dad and I are taking the motor out of a 98 camaro, and are ready to order all our parts for our '69 camaro. I've got a couple of questions.

I want to keep this car as original as possible - looking, on the outside. I want to keep the original fuel tank. Is there a problem with me using the original pick up, and just installing an adequate in-line fuel pump? Will I find any problems with doing this? If so, can I weld up my original pick-up, and install the one out of the 98? Also, I want to keep the original guages. The speedo, tach, volt., fuel, and water temp. can be hooked up just fine, but what about the oil pressure? My original guage is mechanical, but the ls1 ISN'T. Is there anything I can buy to convert it to mechanical, or do I have to get an aftermarket guage?

One last question - does anyone know what kit to use to have the shifter come up in the right location to stay in the original console I have? I'm hoping it's the BRP, as that's the kit I want to get.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can use an inline pump and the original tank, but you do have to add a return line to the tank. Use a 99 vette filter/regulator mounted close to the tank, and simply run the return from the regulator to the new return line on the tank. I used a Walbro 225 lph inline pump and it works great. As for the oil pressure gauge, I just bought an adapter that screwed into the stock sending unit location so I could use an autometer oil pressure gauge. I'm sure you could find a fitting that would allow you to use the original gauge.