Sponsored by:

5.3 Swap into S10

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Swap into S10

Okay guys, here's the deal.

I locked the motor up on my S-10 yesterday, I had a 350 (not the same motor that I bought the truck with I already swapped blocks to a 4 bolt main)

Well I have a rough* silverado z71, that i am going to pull the 5.3, computer, harness, and transmission out of, well I've been researching this for the past month trying to find everything I can.

I need to know everything there is to know about everything that has to do with this swap. I have 9 days starting march 10th and ending march 19th to complete the swap.

I'll have my S-10 gutted and ready to accept everything from the Silverado. I just gotta transplant from the fsc to the mini in nine days. Any help you guys can offer will be appreciated more than I can express on a forum.

If there's the slightest thread of information you can contribute then don't hesitate, I may not have thought of what you have to say yet.

I'm positive I'm going to do it, I just need as few snags and problems as possible so that by the 19th I will be up and running with as little downtime as possible.

I have a strong mechanical background, although this will be my most extensive work as to date.

So words from the wise, words from the experenced chime in no trying to talk me out of it, just straight forward what do I need to know.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Teching In

I'd start searching around on the LS1 conversions as the 5.3 is basically the same. I haven't looked up what year truck you're working on but 1st or 2nd Gen, it'll be a fun swap. It is a 97 I assume from your name.
Bracketry from what I understand is the biggest hurdle in the LSx engine conversions. Most bite the bullet and go with all Vette (C5) front engine accessories. The 5.3 exhaust "may" work as I've read of a few (very few) folks using the 5.3 truck manifolds with luck. Or, there are always shorty headers specific to the swap. If you want a/c you either get to notch out your chassis or bite it on a S&P high mount a/c conversion. The 5.3 oil pan will work with some mods to it, or easier yet...... notching your cross member. Engine mounts can be had and your previous one may work with some mods or extra pieces, not sure. Computer end of all this might be trick as it is a pre-98 truck your working on. Unless you do a stand alone harness type set up and figure out how to make gauges and all that work with the new engine.
Dunno, I been researching LSx engine swaps for my truck (02 rcsb) for about 6 months now I guess. Learned a lot and have no fear or worries of doing the conversion. However, hopefully some other folks that have actually done the swap chime in. Might try searching the board or read the "S10 LS1'ers" thread going on currently.

Hope I was of some assistance.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Search.....There is a thread running right now about S10's with LS1's. Which, btw is basically an aluminum version of the 5.3 (with a little more displacement).

If your S10 is 2wd, mounts and headers are available.

Front accessory drive will be a challenge (including finding it somewhere other than the stealership). The truck stuff is longer (ie closer to the radiator) than the C5 stuff by about 3", which is why the C5 stuff is preferred. You might be able to make the truck stuff work, but you'll be locking yourself into a pusher style electric fan, which will probably have trouble keeping the truck cool. You might also have hood clearance issues.

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-02-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind, that the truck oil pan is 3" deeper (lower) than an LS1, and the truck intake is about 6" taller than an LS1. I beleive the LS1 measures about 16" from the crank centerline to it's highes point. The truck measures about 22" to the top of the intake cover (the intake would be something slightly less than that) from the crank centerline. Hope this helps as a comparison to what's perhaps being already done with an LS1 swap.

Andy1
Old 02-03-2006, 09:49 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will post some info for ya later when I have more time, but I hope you have extensive sleep deprivation experience, I did my swap in two weeks and it was a LOT of LONG days.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:53 AM

What years, I am assuming your S10 is a 97, but what year 5.3L? Also is either one a 4x4?
Old 02-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Teching In

the s10 is a 1997, the z71 is 4wd hence the z71, and it is a 2001.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:52 PM

Ok lets start from the back, less parts to change at the back of the car. Fuel system you will need a pump capable of supplying 60psi, I am not sure if the S10 pump will do that, might need to change the pump. Depending on if you move your trans you may need to shorten the driveshaft. What are you doing for a tailhousing, the S10 one may not bolt on to the newer trans, the later 4L60E`s have 6 bolts, not sure about the s10, that may still have 4. Also you need to keep the 5.3L vehicle speed sensor, I think the S10 has an older design, but don`t worry, the 5.3l computer should put out the correct signal to make the s10 speedo work. The 5.3l trans has quick connect fittings for the cooler lines, the S10 may or may not so you may need to double flare or compression fitting the quick connect ends from the full size truck onto the S10 trans cooler lines. The shift linkage should be very close to working, possibly a bolt in or some minor tweaks. Exhaust, I never did an S10, might fit might not, seems like the f-body manifolds are the best fit for most cars if the truck stuff doesn`t fit. Fuel lines I used stock GM quick connect plastic lines, if the s10 has the same style it might work, otherwise use compression fittings or better yet double flare the lines and attach the quick connect ends from the other truck. You will have to check with other S10 posts about engine clearance, but I can tell you that it is very tall, the EVAP purge solenoid is the tallest part, but it can easily be relocated, the alternator and the mainfold top will be your next big concern. Power steering lines I think they should bolt right in, as long as you can make the bends fit the s10 chassis. Cooling fan, the truck mechanical fan might fit, I used it on my swap for a while, but you can also control electric fans with the truck computer. Radiator hoses, I used the truck ones, but you can also get universal flexible hoses. Throttle cable, the truck one worked for my swap, just had to bend the pedal to eliminate some slack. Gauges put your stock sender in the new motor, You can remove the factory oil pressure sender on the top of the block behind the manifold and put yours there, may need a metric adapter. Put the temp sender in the pass side head, may need a metric adapter here too, or to cut the sender down and rethread it. Tachometer, if it was a 4Cyl motor the tach will hook right up, otherwise reprogram the computer.

Wiring, are you reworking the harness or sending it out? You will need a fuse box for the engine. VATS unless you run the body control module from the full size truck you will need to have the VATS DELETED from the truck computer, you cannot bypass the truck motor VATS. I will PM ya the info for the guy who reprogrammed my computer, he can reflash it and send it back to you the same day he gets it. Thats about all I can think of for now.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks, very useful post, however most doesn't apply to my truck. I've already done 1 swap, which was the carbed 350. The stock fueltank is gone, the stock shift linkage is gone, I now run a B&M proshift floor mount. Already have some conversion headers, so that's covered. Have aftermarket tachometer, have my electric fans and radiator issue ligned out.

I have a tailhousing from a 4L60E ready to bolt on. I am doing the harness myself.

Yep, I was planning on getting jesse at waitforme to program it for me. I know him from fullsizechevy.com

Thanks for the info though.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97v8
Already have some conversion headers, so that's covered.
Not to be insulting, but you do have LS1 conversion headers, right?

The SBC and LS1 manifold patterns do not interchange (SBC has a pair of siamesed cylinders in the center, LS1 is a symmetric port design, similar to SBF).

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: 5.3 Swap into S10