Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, im going to need help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, im going to need help.

ok. im new to the board and would like to see if my car will be compatable with a swap.

I have a 99 pontiac firebird(no t/a or formula) with the base V6 3.8 and a A4 tranny. i would like to know if i can fit an LS1 into her. i was specifically looking at the LQ9 6.0L thats on crateenginedepot.com. HERES THE LINK TO THE ENGINE. im not worried about it being an iron block. i want to see if i need to get/make a set of motor mounts to accomidate this engine. i know that i AM changing the rear end to a 12 bolt at the same time as the engine and keeping the drive train as is and praying for no problems. also, what needs to be done with the shocks and suspension with the added pounds and power? im not exactly sure what suspension is on it now, all i know is that i hasnt been touched. also what about the computer and other wiring? will the old wiring be compatable with the new engine? also how about the cooling system? i know i have alot of questions but i want this to ba all planned out perfectly so there will be no problems when i do swap it. if you notice and problems that i havent said speak up please.

im 18 so im quite limited to my choices due to money and the likes. i plan on doing all of this in the winter of 2007-2008 after i get all of my funds, plans, parts combined. im trying to keep it under 8 grand including the 12 bolt rear end and a set of headers and duals. my plan is to reach or get close to 400 hp with this setup. i plan on it being more of a street car than a drag car.

can this done with the car and this budget?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Define compatible, anything will fit with a sawzall, welder, and enough time. But yours is kinda a bolt in. I think the mounts are completely different, the easiest thing would be to swap in a K member from a factory LS1 car with the rest of the front suspension. Computer and wiring......the easiest thing would be to the the complete harness set out of a donor LS1 car, you can splice the wiring together, but you will need a engine wiring harness for a LS1 f-body or truck (more people use f-body harnesses so you will find more info on them. If you splice the wiring together and are good at looking through electrical schematics and wiring in general you can expect to spend at least a couple days splicing wiring together. You either need a truck computer for a LQ9 6.0L or a camaro computer reflashed with LQ9 programming. Either way though you need to have the pcm reflashed, can`t bypass the VATS on a truck motor with a box, easier to turn it off in the PCM. You will need a f-body water pump, probably a complete f-body accy. set up. The tallest part of the truck motors is the EVAP purge solenoid, the second tallest is the alternator, I don`t think your hood will clear the alternator. Also you cannot put the f-body manifold on a truck motor without moving the idler pulley. And I think the output hose will hit the throttle body if you try to use a truck water pump and a f-body intake, plus the belt is spaced out further in front on the trucks so a truck water pump will not work with f-body accys. I think you will need f-body fuel rails, not positive but I don`t think they are interchangeable plus most of the trucks have the regulator on the fuel rail and the camaros have it in the tank, you can`t use truck rails if you are going to use a factory LS1 fuel pump/sender assembly. The front and rear covers should be the same between the motors. You may also have interference between the coils and your car, the truck coils are slightly differently shaped and mounted higher on the valve covers, not sure why they did this but I figured I`d mention it, it may or may not be a problem. Also you will need f-body exhaust manifolds, which will bolt right on. And the oil pan is different, you will need an f-body oil pan, pickup, windage tray, and dipstick assembly.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Teching In

wow.... hmm...
maybe its worth my time to just buy an LS1 off of ebay or here and swap it so im not changing alot of stuff especially the pulleys and the wiring because i know i will mess something up. i want it to be put in right and fire up the first time. that might be my best bet.
about how much would a k member and the front suspension run me? and also what are a good set of gears for the rear(#'s)? i want fairly fast aceleration but a modest top speed without very high cruising rpm's.

and with the new k member and the 12 bolt and the headers and the engine off of ebay of here will i still make it under 8 grand?\

Thanks,
Randy
Old 03-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Teching In

anyone?

Quick Reply: Ok, im going to need help.