Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheels & airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Wheels & airbags?

I'm doing a fair amount of work on my '87 Mercedes and could use some help deciding on more. The car is getting an LS6 & 4L65E, plus upgrades to brakes, rack & pinion installation, and repairs (finally) to lots of other items.

While I'm doing the work, I'd like to replace the steering wheel with something better looking than the black, bus-sized wheel than is in there now, but don't want to lose the airbag. That LS6 is going to make the car VERY fast and the airbag is important to me. That Mercedes airbag won't fit anything else, but I have no idea if the airbag electronic controls in the car will be able to fire someone else's airbag.

Can I put on any late model wheel (with hub adapter) and wire my airbag controls to the new wheel? Any thoughts on where I can get some info on this?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:23 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can`t really be of much help other than that GM airbags have a 2 wire connector and will fire if 12 volts is applied. If your airbag system uses 12V to fire the bag then it might work.

FYI: GM airbags will launch an empty 55 gallon drum pretty well if they are detonated underneath one don`t ask how I know .

Quick Reply: Steering Wheels & airbags?