Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone coming to Hot August Nights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone coming to Hot August Nights?

It's in Reno, NV August 3-12. 5500 registered cars, plus many more just cruising around: http://www.hotaugustnights.net/.

Kate and I will be up there with the Studebaker from Tuesday the 7th, Leaving Saturday morning the 11th. Would love to meet up with fellow LS1Tech folks if you will be there. Several of us got together last year, let's find someplace to meet up again.

Pat
Old 07-03-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Default Hot August Nights

Wish I could be there just once, to see it all. Wife is in Boulder City right now visiting. She said its going to be 118 degrees on Thursday. Whew! I know, I know, its a DRY heat!? LOL
Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pat.. Was just thinking of asking you if wanna meet at the A&W again or anywhere else !

I will be there from Wed thru Friday night. I didn't get Registered this year... waiting list is too long.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pat - I'll be there Wednesday afternoon through Saturday night. A & W again sounds good but anywhere else is fine too. I hope to have my '57 LS7 ready to bring....but, if it is ready to go, I think I better trailer it. Approx 2000 miles from Wisconsin is a pretty long test run
Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey.. I know we had a few people meet us at the A&W last year.. but I can't remember who you all where.. (cars I can remember, LOL).. If your planning on meeting us, how about checking in here on this thread guys!

Looking forward to meeting all of you and checking out the LS1 swaps. .! but all are welcome to meet us there!
Old 07-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Dad and I were there last year in my '69 442 (car in sig). This year, we should have my Dad's Camaro done, and we are registered for the show. Car is getting headers made this week, but we're close on everything else. I have to finish the electrical and run fuel lines, but the rest of the mechanical and suspension is done. It just got out of paint on Friday, so here's a pic of the freshly painted car:

The rear tires are 335s, so they fill up the wheelwells in that middle pic.

That last one is of the motor just before we loaded it up to go to the body shop. The car is going to have a parchment deluxe interior when it's done. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting together again this year. Hopefully we'll have a few more cars this time, rather than people talking about their cars (myself included). I think the A&W would be great again, plenty of parking at lunchtime and easy to get to.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Camaro is looking saweet Chris. Looking forward to seeing Brian's Chevelle and Wardrums '57 and hopefully more. I think we only had 2 running conversions there last year, would be great to line up a whole row! A&W is convenient and it is open to all. I was not all that impressed with the food or service, but can always eat elsewhere. It works for me but I am open to other locations too. Does Summit Racing allow everyone in? That might be an alterantive.

Pat
Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Needs to finish car

Pat, I'd say Summit is not a good spot to meet up. You can park a rental car there if you want, but they don't have a huge lot. Plus, every time I've been there during HAN, the place is always packed, and there is not a good spot to hang out inside. The A&W was nice in that we could sit and bench race basically as long as we wanted. I ended up skipping the food at that one, but I had good luck at the one in Boulder City, just south of Vegas, on the way back. We don't have them in Phoenix, so I thought I'd try it out. If anybody has a better idea, I'd be open to that too, but I just don't know the spots in Reno.

Thanks for the compliment on the car. Let me tell you, the pics just don't do the thing justice. It was like a totally different car after it came back from paint. Neither my Dad nor I could really believe we had such a cool car. I think we stood and stared at it for 3-4 hours before we started working on it again. I guess it's just that you envision things one way, but when it becomes reality, it's different.

It would be cool to see a whole row of them, but for now, I think LSx power just isn't that common. We see it all the time on here, but I think the common man has little clue what our motors are capable of. It'll be fun to get as many as we can together though.

We ought to pick a day and time, though. I'll be there Monday to Sunday, so just about anything works for me. I'm thinking Thursday or Friday relatively early--about lunchtime would be best.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Chris - great to see your dad's car so close to completion. Make sure you get that interior in 'cause we all want a ride
Old 07-04-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like Thursday, I usually go to the swap meet with a friend on Friday. If we do it Thursday around lunch time that would work well for me
Pat
Old 07-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Needs to finish car

Thursday for lunch works for me, too. If somebody can come up with something besides A&W, that's OK with me. I think with none of us being from Reno; we just don't know where to go.

Wardrum, we'll definitely have the interior in there. The seats are done save for a bit of trim assembly on the front buckets, and since the car is gone for headers, I'm working on trimming out the door and side panels this week. From what I've heard the headliner isn't going to be any fun, but we'll when we get the car back from headers. One more quick note, you'll probably want to avoid the back seat; it's been modified to clear the four link and minitubs. It's not so comfortable anymore, but it does look bone stock when it's in the car.

I really hope you can get that '57 done and bring it. From what I remember, everything on that car sounds like it is being done the "right" way. I don't know about a 2000 mi test run either, but we're looking at about an 800 mi one. It's hot, and there's not much along the way -- just the Nevada Test Site, a couple brothels, a few near abandoned mining towns and the Army's munitions storage center. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for us.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well there is the normal Fast Food places..

In-n-Out.. but they usually don't have a large parking area.. one at 8215 S Virginia St and one in Sparks at the end of the strip (too close to the strip and very small parking lot).

There is Dairy Queen.. two of them: 10390 N Mccarran Blvd (a bit out of the way.. north side of 80) and there is on at 5645 Meadowood Mall Cir. This might work, it is right across the street from the mall that is just south to the Atlantis.. we could alway use the malls lot right across the street.??

Sonic Drive In. @ 1220 N Mccarran Blvd, this is north of 80 just off of 395 adj to Sparks.

Pat.. what do you think...? maybe I can try and contact a few of these place.. well let you know..
Old 07-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Make sure you go out to the street races at the Fernely track. They are ususally thursday, fri, and Sat night in Ferneley, 30 minutes east of Reno on Hwy 80. They are an unregulated, no times posted green light style LEGAL street racing on a full 1/4 mile, $25 entry last year. Some VERY fast cars come from all over to grudge race fo some $$$$$$. Usually, the track prep is seccond to none.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, that is one of the events.. for a full run down, you can go to the offical web site.

http://www.hotaugustnights.net/

5500 Registered cars..! and 1900 on the waiting list.. (i am one of them !#@%#%@) 10 days of events and cruzin.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Chris, awesome camaro. Did the f-body AC bracket work on your car? my 5.3 bracket does not work on my '69.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know, the A&W will work just fine. As was said, plenty of parking and there will be other car folks around too. We can just keep it simple and go there. Most everyone knows where it is too.

Pat
Old 07-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Needs to finish car

A&W sounds good to me. Hopefully, it'll be better for you this time, Pat.

Matt, the compressor is actually off of a GTO, but it shares its mounting depth with the f-body. The rest of the accessories are f-body, and getting them to work on an LS7 hasn't been totally straightforward. That's why there's no balancer on the engine in that pic. Should have within two weeks, though. We have an aftermarket subframe on there, so that's why it fits.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Teching In

We still have our house up there, i'll probably see if some friends down here want to go up and check it out.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cingham
We still have our house up there, i'll probably see if some friends down here want to go up and check it out.
Hot August Nights is something everyone should come to at least once, with a car or without. It's sensory overload for most, hard to decide what to look at first! Hope to meet you there.

Pat
Old 07-06-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

I'll be there. I've got a 71' Suburban 4X4 with an LQ9/4L80E in it, not a car, but still a conversion. Let me know when and where everyone decides to meet up.

Quick Reply: Anyone coming to Hot August Nights?