Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wont stay running, for more than a second.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont stay running, for more than a second.

The fuel pump primes up when I hit the ignition. and then again when the starter wire is connected momentarily

Vats is dissabled with HPtuners atleast I hope.

The car just goes vrooom then dead. when I scan it no DTC's are shown.

The dash says low coolant eventhough it is full.

Is 8 times enough tries on a new engine fuel is pressurized in the fuel rail.

To get he starter to work
I went ahead and grounded the relay, it would not trigger the starter without this bypass method. would this cause it not to stay running.
There are three things according to starting elec diagrams that are required for it to start and i checked them all.

Maybe I'll UTube a vid of my tried starts.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 Tries is plenty to get an LS1 to start. Most guys have luck on the first turn of the key... My motor was sitting for a few months, and fired on the very first try of the key.

Now...my car also shut right off after about 1-3 seconds of running. Previous owner turned VATS off right before I took delievery of the car. I watched him do it. Not sure if that was the only step, but in HP Tuners he went in and clearly disabled something in the VATs section.

I built a VATs bypass module just for the heck of it, and sure enough, car fired right up and ran perfect. Now...fast foward to today...almost a year since I finished the swap. For some reason the car no longer needs the bypass module. Even with it unplugged it still runs. Throws a code but no check engine light. Code is p1625 or somethign like that. Something to do with the fuel disable system.

Just thought Ide throw in my story...because I thought VATs was gone in my PCM too when I got the car.

BUT...I see you are running an 04 GTO set up. Im pretty sure the VATs system is different than my f-body system... so Im sure one of the guys more familiar with that platform will chime in...

Justin
Old 07-23-2007, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Mine did the same thing when I first fired it up. VATS bypass. Mine was supposedly disabled in HP tuners, but I still needed to buy a vats bypass module.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Default ls1

I had the same problem used hp tuners to eliinate the vatts mine would only run for a second then quit.When i pluged in the mass air ran great just about ddone conversion ls1 6 speed in 69 camaro hope this helps Al
Old 07-23-2007, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the responses you wouldn't happen to know which wire the bypass is plugged into.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:11 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't use a VATS bypass module on the GTO PCM. It has to be properly programmed out to work right.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Teching In

There was also an update to HPTuners software in April (I think??) that fixed a bug that made it look like the 04 GTO VATS was disabled but wasn't. I'm proof. Just a thought....
Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

as for your starter relay. you probably didnt bypass the neutral safety switch thats why the relay wouldnt pull in. Had the same prob with my 69 Camaro swap. Also i had a wire that originaly went to the BCM that had to be grounded inorder to get the engine to spin over. but that was a 02 trans am setup so GTO wiring might be different

Quick Reply: Wont stay running, for more than a second.