Sponsored by:

Pacesetter Franken-headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Pacesetter Franken-headers

I have a '72 Nova that I'm swapping an LQ4 into, and I'm stuck on the exhaust. The stock driver-side exhaust manifold won't at all fit in because I'm using a stock steering box.

So here's the question, anyone with a 67-69 camaro or 68-72 nova ever thought of buying Pacesetter non-coated 98-02 f-body headers and chopping/modifying the #3, #5 exhaust tubes to fit around the steering box?

This thought popped up because those headers are damn cheap to start off with, and obviously already have everything you'd want if you were to make your own headers from scratch (exhaust flanges, tubes, merge collector, etc). Also I can't quite swing the $700 for hookers even tho those seem the cheapest.

Anyone know if this is at all reasonable with pacesetters? I assume they'd be fairly compact to fit in a modern f-body, but do the collectors angle out in any weird ways or do they hang too low? All comments are greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not looking for long tubes, check out Sanderson headers. I have a narrowed Nova subframe in my Stude and that is what I ended up using. We did what you stated, had to move some tubes around. Plain steel headerrs were about $250, Sanderson sent me a box of scrap bends for $20. Once we got it all finished, I sent them back to Sanderson and they ceramic coated them for $115 and had them back to me in less than a week. They were great to work with. Follow the link in my sig to see how we did mine, you will have to work your way back through my journal to find it. They don't show all their LSx headers on-line, call and have them send you a catalog.

Pat
Old 08-20-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks Pat, that's almost exactly what I was going for, I'll certainly check out Sanderson!

My main concern is how low the headers for a 98-02 f-body hang. The truck headers look like the tubes might be even better for clearance, but my instinct tells me they'll hang even lower than the f-body ones.

Can anyone tell me the height of the f-body headers from exhaust port centerline to the bottom of the collector?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't recall the measurements you're needing, but I do remember that the driver side collector angles to the outside a few degrees (enough to be an issue I'd say) while the passenger side goes straight back.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sanderson makes great stuff...been around forever..friend has some short/mids on his 51 Mercury. Only ones that would fit with a Nailhead Buick in that car.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter Franken-headers