Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS/LSX in '72 Nova help/advise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/LSX in '72 Nova help/advise.

Hi i'm wanting some advise on putting a LS series engine in my Nova.I'm wanting to do either a nitrous carbed setup or a injected turbo setup. I understand there is a big difference in price. First of all choosing the platform. Do i go with a LS1,2 or 6 or do i just buy a LSX block. Also i heard the 5.3 truck block will hold 1000+hp and i'm hearing alot about the l92 heads. Here's my thing i just sold my big block and i'm thinking about putting a carbed version together to get the car running quicker. Is there a plug and play harness available that i could use. If i go with the carbed nitrous version do you think the l92 head would work well on a big bore short stroke[ 4.250x 3.625 ] LSX blocked build. I seen they flow 320cfm out of the box but do they responde well to porting to handle a large nitrous cam. Is the 5.3 truck block a good choice for a build like this,how big of a bore will it handle? Then on the LSX turbo setup. If i go this route the car will be down the rest of the year but ultimately my first choice. What is a good head for a 1500+hp turboed setup. Again i would do a big bore short stroke build. Will aftermarket LS series fuel systems handle this hp range. Whats the best wiring harness for this combo? Will a powerglide or TH400 adapt to this? I know i have alot of questions but please respond to what you can as all info is appreciated. Again if i could get it running soon i would do a carbed setup and change it in the winter i just want to go racing some more this year if possible,thanks Mike.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 PM

Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Are you going to be racing in a class where you are limited to a certain displacement? If not I would recommend going with as many cubes as possible. Is this a street car? Street/strip, Drag only? Gas mileage a concern? What are your goals as far as ET? If you are trying to run 10's or 11's in a street car 500-600 is more than enough.
A little bit more info on your setup and your goals will allow people here to steer you in the right direction. The Carb'ed/nitrous setup might be the least expensive route depending on what kind of setup you want run. I think an LSX with a Victor Jr/Super victor with a Dominator and a good plate system would be cool if you are not going to drive it on the street much.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:56 AM
Launching!

If you are looking for more info on l92 setups you might want to look throught the GENIV internal section. Richard from West Coast Cylinder heads has done some testing on the potential of these heads. If you are going to run a big shot a nitrous (250+) I would recommend an aftermarket head with a thick deck.

Quick Reply: LS/LSX in '72 Nova help/advise.