Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Firebird swap complete

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 Firebird swap complete

Hey Guys. Well finally got my bird running. There are still a lot of details to work out but it is running and driving. Thanks for answering all of my sometimes dumb questions. The car drives like a dream, a loud fast dream.

Anyhow car is 72 firebird stock 99 ls1 with tko600. I used a caprice gas tank which fits really nice and vette regulator. dynatech headers. ls1 fbod rad and fans. Using mechanical linkage for the clutch. Made a bracket for the other side of the zbar.
Attached Thumbnails 72 Firebird swap complete-dsc03057edit.jpg   72 Firebird swap complete-dsc03058e.jpg   72 Firebird swap complete-dsc03059b.jpg   72 Firebird swap complete-dsc03052b.jpg  
Old 09-21-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good going, keep us posted on your final details.

How about some more details on the cars adapter, wiring and any problem you have, other can learn from.

I know it will be hard to get them done, now that you can actually drive the car !... I still have a few details to complete too.. but they have been on hold for the last 9 months.. well since It hit the road ..LOL...
Old 09-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, well winter is coming up here so I will have some time to figure things out.

As for mounts I used the stock ls1 mounts and made brackets to bolt it to the subframe. For the trans cross member I used the one that classic five speed supplies for 2nd gen tko swaps. It fit perfect for where I had the motor positioned. Go figure.

The wiring is the stock harness that I modified myself. I pulled a fuse box out of newer grand prix because it was a nice size.

Problems were and are headers. Driver side collector went straight into the frame. That is cut and fixed. Pass side is too close to the frame and needs some modification. Not really any major problems. Just lots of time spent installing new gas tank, clutch linkage, fuel lines, doing wiring, measuring, measuring again, etc. I ran a 1/2 inch feed with a 3/8 return. I put the regulator right by the motor. I plan on upping the power at some point which is the reason for the 1/2 inch line.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Out of curiosity, did you happen to try any of the F-body (or GTO) headers currently out there for the 4th gens? I always wonder if there's something already out there that would fit in.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats on getting it running!
Old 09-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

they are 4th gen headers. They just need some modification. Nothing major if you have a decent exhaust shop around. I just haven't gotten back to get the passenger side fixed. But in the scheme of things that was probably the hardest to figure out. I am curious as to how truck or gto ones would fit though.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

a10beav thanks, it has been a long time coming but definitely worth it.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

How did the gas tank work out? Kind of curious myself.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

tank fits good. I don't have a rear sway bar so not sure if that would be an issue but I used a caprice tank and straps. With a short extension on the straps the tank bolted in. I have maybe 2 inches between the diff and the tank. so downside is exhaust has to be precise but the big tank will be more than worth it on trips. I don't have any pics right now but can get some.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the 70-73 are the nicest year firebirds, especially with your formula hood. i really miss my 73. nice work.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey great job and congratulations! I know you got a permanent smile going about now

Pat
Old 09-22-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

I'd like to see pics of the tank. How did the filler neck work out?
Old 09-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Yeah permagrin for sure. The car is so much fun. I can't believe it.

I will get pics of the tank soon. The filler neck was definitely the hard part. I had to cut the steel piece down a lot. The big rubber hose has a bit too much of a bend in it at the moment so it is something I am going to address. I might try the filler neck from the original tank for a better angle. But it was definitely worth it to get a factory type setup and a big tank for trips.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Oldschoolformula I was wondering what rad hoses you are using? You did a nice job on your swap. I sure wish my car had paint as nice as yours. Do you drive it a lot? I am hoping to make mine close to a daily driver for the summer.

Another note on my swap that might help others is for a throttle cable I used a stock 01 suburban cable. Cost around 50 bucks from gm and is the right length. Only modification is to shorten the cable slightly due to the bracket being different between the car and the truck.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Regular

I used everything from my donor car, so the hoses are for an '01 T/A, as is the radiator. I drive the car quite a bit, its my daily and my only car. Rain or shine, it goes out. This semester it could get 350 miles a week thrown at it. The paint is nicer in pics, though its definitely presentable for a driver. It has its share of flaws over the years, but it still gets more than its fair share of compliments.

Quick Reply: 72 Firebird swap complete