Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Traction Control cause computer issues in a swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Traction Control cause computer issues in a swap?

I recently put an '04 GTO LS1 into a '67 Chevy II wagon.
Deleted the VATS. Car starts and runs great except for when i quickly give it full throttle for a hard launch or if I hold the brake and apply the throttle. It's almost as if the computer is cutting out cylinders to limit wheel spin...
However, there is no ABS controler or anything to monitor wheel spin.

Could this be an issue with the computer or possibly a default safety mode that the computer goes into if it does not get signal for some form of traction control?

If I ease into the throttle, the car takes off like no tomorrow...

Any ideas would be appreceiated.

Thanks,
J-
Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Launching!

That is very odd.

The Bosch ABS module in those cars works by the wheel speed sensors detecting slippage (these are wired directly to the ABS module), then the ABS module instructs the PCM to pull timing and shut off fuel injectors. Since you do not have one, I don't see this being the issue as you have concluded as well.

This sounds more like torque management.

From by knowledge, the LS1 GTO's used a PCM manufactured by Bosche that is quite a bit different than the Delphi PCM's used in LS1 powered vehicles manufactured in North America.

It would be best to post this question on LS1gto.com where people are more familiar with these car and would know if they have torque management.

BTW do you have issues doing burnouts?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:51 AM

The computer is a Delphi computer. And I have not been able to do a burnout yet. The rpms get close to sounding like the tires want to break loose, and consistenly at the same RPM range, one (or possibly more I guess) cylinders drop out.

If I am driving the car down the road, and slowly ease into the throttle, it will drop down a gear and take off with no issues.

If I am driving down the road and just smash on the throttle it pretty much breaks up right away. Every now and then it will drop down a gear, but then break up right after that. So as of yet, there has been no burn outs
Old 10-12-2007, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Default Could be torque managment

I'm doing an 04 GTO in my conversion and in the 04 service manual I came across this:

Torque Managment

Torque Managment is a function of the PCM that reduces power during certain conditions. Torque managment is performed for the following reasons:

1) In order to prevent over stressing of the powertrain components
2) In order to prevent damage to the vehicle during certain abusive maneuvers
3) In order to reduce the engine speed when the IAC is out of the normal operating range

The following are instances when an engine power reduction is likely to be experienced:

1) During transmission upshifts and downshifts
2) During heavy acceleration from a standing start
3) If the IAC is out the normal operating range
4) If the driver performing harsh or abusive maneuvers, such as shifting into a gear at high throttle angles or shifting the transmission from reverse to drive in order to create a rocking motion.

The driver is unlikely to notice the torque management in the first two instances. The engine power output will be moderate at full throttle in the other 2 instances.

The PCM calculates the amount of spark retard that necessary to reduce the engine power by the desired amount. The PCM disables the fuel injectors for cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7 if an abusive manuver occurs.

So.... It appears that possibly the IAC is the culprit. You might want to replace the IAC. If that doesn't work see if you can delete the Torque management programs from the PCM.

Hope this helps.

Sam
Old 10-15-2007, 03:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

what type of air intake ducting setup do you have? i had a tpi 3rd gen and rigged up some intake ducting. i used the rubber tube from a massair flow car ducting and stretched it out to fill the void from the MAF,i wasnt using one.the car ran fine,revved up fine,and drove fine under normal acceleration,but when i got on it ,it bogged down something fierce.i tried alot of things and finally figured it out.it was the rubber tube! the vacume was sucking it shut. just thought i would pass it on.

Quick Reply: Does Traction Control cause computer issues in a swap?