Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question guys ls1 to 6.0 conversion in a camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question guys ls1 to 6.0 conversion in a camaro

guys we are trying to convert a 6.0 into a camaro that blew the engine but the fly wheel doesn't aline and we are having trouble with it any suggestions are welcomed thank you

o the camaro is a 1998 and the 6.0 is a 1999
Old 10-06-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I don't have personal experience with the 6.0 but from what I've read in a few books and heard from a few other folks on here the early 6.0's and possibly the 5.3's used a different crank because of the differences in the transmissions and torque converters. There is a adaptor out there for use on the truck engines but I'm uncertain if the adaptor is to allow the LS1/LS6 crank type to work on a truck setup or vise versa. You'll have to do some looking around because I'm by no means a subject matter expert as far as this goes, but it's possible that your 6.0 motor might not work without a crankshaft change because of the crank issue. But I imagine that is why the flywheel is not lining up.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

The LQ4 6.0's have a flexplate spacer that allow the use of the 4L80E, try eliminating that spacer between the crank and flexplate, you may have to use a 4L60E flewxplate, i dont know for sure.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:04 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Most of the LSx motors use a shorter crank shaft than the older GEN I and II SBC`s. The exception is the 1999-00 6.0L motors which use a crankshaft that is the same offset as the GEN I and II SBC`s.

The torque convertor in the 98 camaro is made for the short crank motor. If the 6.0L that you have is a 99-00 it has the long crank. You could double check and make sure there isn`t a spacer between the crank and flexplate.

The problem of joining the long crank motor and short crank trans does not come up much....in fact this is the first time I have seen someone post about doing it. About the only way I could see doing it is with an aftermarket torque convertor. I know that yank and the other torque convertor companies can put a LS1 style front on a TC for a th350/400/700r4 trans so they should be able to put the old style shorter nose front on a TC for your LS1 4l60e trans
Old 10-07-2007, 03:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i kind of figured it out the only thing we are having the most problem is that the starter would not grab the fly wheel but im using the camaro started so im going to be trying the truck starter to see if that would work but thak you very much for your comments

Quick Reply: question guys ls1 to 6.0 conversion in a camaro