Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm confused about oil pan, fuel and steering clearence with certain mounts - 68 bird

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm confused about oil pan, fuel and steering clearence with certain mounts - 68 bird

Ive been reading post after post and have just confused myself to the max. So if i use the Hooker header engine adpater plates with sbc mounts, then i wont need to change my oil pan or alter the steering linkage right? And these plates mount on existing sbc motor mounts in my 1st gen and the plate bolts to the ls1 block right? or does the plate mount where the sbc mount would and then the ls1 engine mounts bolt to that? I'm really curious because i have a pontiac motor in my car and i dont want to buy the wrong motor mount as i have neither the ls1 or sbc.

This car was orgionally an OHC 6 cylinder if that makes any difference but has a 400 swapped into it. Engine is getting a BOP th400 as well.

Basically i just need to know what i need to buy say i have just BOP 400 pontiac mounts and a BOP TH400 on my car. Starting from scratch. I do not plan on using power steering, or ac or any unnecessary emmitions stuff. Emissions are not required in any vehicles 68 or older in DE.

Also the fuel system is another thing that has me confused. I just put a brand new tank and sending unit in my firebird. Im reading something about needing a sump and baffle or something? Why cant i just put in a dual 3/8" 5/16" sending unit and just use my existing tank with an inline pump and vette regulator?

I already have the engine and stock harness and PCM 60k miles from a 99 got it for $700. I understand i have to send out my harness to be 'worked' the the pcm reprogrammed. I know i need a BOP to chevy adpater plate and a spacer for the ls1 flywheel. I dont have a flywheel on the engine so do they make a 1 piece already spaced flywheel to fit my th400?

The fuel line i already have run to the engine bay is 3/8" braided SS with ruber inside rated to 50psi. do you think that is pushing the limits to run it at 58psi? I dont imagine an SS line would burst except at a barbed end.

I'm sorry for all the dumb questions im sure you have already answered, i just cant seem to find them. the more i read the more it contradicts what i already learned.

thanks guys!

Shawn
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone? I'm ready to start lol
Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check the Camaro swap sticky. Most of these questions are answered and it applies to any first gen F body including your Firebird.

Don

Quick Reply: I'm confused about oil pan, fuel and steering clearence with certain mounts - 68 bird