Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Harness Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring Harness Modifications

My LS1 came from an 01 TA with a standard trans. I am mating it to a 4L60E trans from a 99 Camaro.

I know that I have to rewire a few terminals to the PCM. I have diagrams that show me which terminals I don't need, and terminals that I have to add for the auto trans.

How do you remove a terminal that you won't be using? Do you just cut the wire and leave the terminal end in the PCM?

Where can you get the terminal ends for the new wire connections into the PCM?

If you want to extend the wiring to the PCM so that it can be moved inside, is it OK to splice in additional wiring and solder the connections?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:36 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my harness I didn`t actually remove any of the wires. But in order to remove them you can either disassemble the connector and take the wire and terminal completely out, you should be able to remove the terminals from the PCM connectors with a small screwdriver. If you go that route you have to make sure to plug the hole with something. Some people have used caulk. You could also cut the wires off and then tape the end off.

You should be able to get them at any of the better autoparts stores. Autozone, murrys etc will not have them, but NAPA should have them. I bought mine from carquest.

Solder and shrinkwrap or solder, tape and 3M scotchcoat(liquid tape) are perfectly acceptable ways to lenghthen the harness.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wires can be removed/rearranged in the blue/red connectors. Just need to disassemble the connectors, take off the gray covers, then the red/blue covers come off, then lift the white, piano key looking piece that holds the wire in, then they just slide out.

Where are you planning on putting the PCM? My harness has plenty of length to mount it under the dash without extending, stock F-Body harness. Check the link in my sig, I put up pics of it recently.

I have some of the connectors you might need. Especially the big one that plugs into the trans. I went from auto to manual harness. You can also order most of them from Rockauto.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for input.

I am going to try and locate the PCM in the clove box.

Stealth71, I looked at your pictures where you had routed your harness thru the firewall. Looks like you have plenty of spare wire. I haven't even unplugged any of the wiring from the motor yet, but I think I will unplug everything and see how far it will reach.

My trans came with the connectors, but the main harness that went to the PCM was cut about 6" from the connector on the trans. Means I have to run new wiring to the PCM. Do you still have the large plug from the trans with the wires attached that go to the PCM? With that I would only have to plug them into my PCM. If you do have that, what would you want for it?

Again, I appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness Modifications