Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt hittin' the bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default belt hittin' the bolt?

i just put my serp belt on and the lowest bolt on the alternator is hitting the belt!!!! has anyone else ran into this? i am not using the stock set up. i have no a.c. (just one less belt) but i also am not using the power steering pump (i dont have one yet). but where the belt runs from (right to left) the alt. to the crank it sould be the same?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know it stays really close to bolt, but it shouldnt hit. i took my ps pump off and now there are two alt bolts that are real close, but they are`nt touching.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could be wrong, but try checking the route of the belt.. I think you have it going the wrong way.. are you going from the bottom of the alternator to the bottom of the crank/balancer ? if so.. that is wrong..

Normally looking at it from the front.. from the bottom of the balancer going to the driver side, goes up and over the idler, down and under the alternator pulley and then up and over the Pump, then under the Water pump.

don't ask How I know.. look for a picture of the normal routing (S&P has many).
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bczee
I could be wrong, but try checking the route of the belt.. I think you have it going the wrong way.. are you going from the bottom of the alternator to the bottom of the crank/balancer ? if so.. that is wrong..

Normally looking at it from the front.. from the bottom of the balancer going to the driver side, goes up and over the idler, down and under the alternator pulley and then up and over the Pump, then under the Water pump.

don't ask How I know.. look for a picture of the normal routing (S&P has many).

yeah but im not runnin a power steering pump so would nt the belt run on itslef going back to the water pump?

and your right. i looked at s&p 's site and saw a stock setup and it does go over the idler. but what are guys doing with out power steering pumps (or does anyone have one i get real cheap im broke)

Last edited by leonpiper69; 01-10-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing. I have a truck block and alt only and the belt is barely rubbing at the bottom. I am having the worst time with this alt setup. I have tried 2 now and no luck.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

here is a picture i wonder if my alt pulley is too small?

Attached Thumbnails belt hittin' the bolt?-bolt.jpg  

Quick Reply: belt hittin' the bolt?