Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 Swap in a 240 SX

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 Swap in a 240 SX

Hi guys, I am new to posting here and truth be told am traditionally a stang guy, but I have a lot of questions and know almost nothing about the LS motor.

I am a automotive tech student at Gateway Technical College in Kenosha Wisconsin. I am also the president of the Auto Club at the school. We are trying to build the school a flagship car and something that is show and go. Now we have a lot of sponsorship already but in order to keep the cost low were trying to use cars we have around the shop. Here is what we are thinking at this point.

1997 Nissan 240 SXSE, 4L60E trans, and a GM LQ9, I believe it is called. (I.E. 6.0 from a truck.)

So, if I am with in the ball park of sanity here, let me tell you my thoughts.

1. I want to know if there is anything out there from or FOR the LS2 that we can bolt on to this thing. Can be do a cam?Heads?Bottle?forced induction?

2. We have a lot of good fabricators in the club and a couple of welders so we might be making our own install kit BUT should we decide buy one, can we purchase a LS1 swap for this car? Or does this motor have different mountings all together?

Any thoughts/ideas/comments/concerns are very welcome.
thanks.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Going to be a nice project. There are tons of parts for these motors so performance isnt going to be an issue. If you search this forum there are quite a few of these threads going on so just browse through them, and goodluck
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

If you have the money and sponsors do a LS7 or a bad *** blown LS1/6, with a 6 speed T56. Do a track/drift car. Drag car would be boring.

You guys will have to make your own mounts,headers etc..
Old 01-18-2008, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm 99% positive the Hinson kit will work on the LQ9 just as it would on the LS1, but calling them would be a good idea. I've heard bad things about Hinson though, so IMO you'd be better off fabbing your own. That's what I'm doing.

Also, check out silviav8.com
Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Kenosha? wow, small world. My 98 240sx with LS2/T56 will be getting done in a garage of a buddy in Kenosha.
I'm waiting for the chassis to get here (early Feb) before diving into the to-buy list.
Anyway, as far as kits go, Hinson makes one, but from what I've seen its not exactly good design as they use a spacer to lower the front xmember and tension rod brackets.
If you go through and DIY, custom headers will be needed to clear the steering shaft, making custom engine/trans mounts and wiring. new clutch master cylinder, corvette fpr/filter and needed plumbing comes to mind.
Cooling could be an issue if you don't upgrade the stock radiator to something better.

as far as the chassis - great choice, there are plenty of different choices as far as suspension pieces, but BattleVersion and SPL have proven to be one of the best out there.

hope this helps

Quick Reply: 6.0 Swap in a 240 SX