Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 or lq9

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 or lq9

all thing being equal---i want to supercharge either a lq4 or lq9 would the lq4 be better being it is lower compresion?? whats youre thoughts?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lower CR is always going to better for forced induction. So the LQ4 looks like it would suit your needs just fine. Just as a reference point, my third gen is about to have a turbo LM7 because of the 5.3's 9:1 CR. Keep in mind that the LQ4/9 can have huge power without forced induction, just check out Car Craft for the kind of numbers that can be yielded. Not that I'm knocking the SC idea, just saying it's something to consider.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

if you have a choice between the 2, and are not going to change the internals, go with the lq4-the 1/2 pt lower comp. will give you a safety margin
i know the 2004 lq4 has the coated pistons on the side, which will help a little
i have an lq4 i am going to run a dics procharger with the vette acces. drive, along with an intercooler, in my 69 a body-my orig intent was to use the stock motor, add a cam and springs, rod bolts (to the 317 heads) and see how much it would take (i bought 3 lq4's on a bargain) i decided to change out the pistons/rods to forged (so much for my orig idea) but still using the heads,
z06 cam, plus i studded the head bolts-i will see how that works out, down the road i might build a stroker
kind of wish i had stayed with the orig. idea, but tend to get carried away-lol
i am going to start out with a carb., as i am **** about fi and computers, and have done several blow thru carb setups