Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding both oil pressure and oil temp guages

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding both oil pressure and oil temp guages

I'm finally into the home stretch on my Ls1 t56 swap into my 91 Z28 and I'm researching the "little things". I had added a aftermarket oil pressure and oil temp guage to the old TPI motor and would like to add them to the new LS1 (I never trusted the old stock oil pressure guage)

I'm aware of the oil pressure port just above the oil filter, and I'll probably use it for the temp guage. The stock oil pressure sender is needed to tie to the pcm, so my question is where is another port for the mechanical oil pressure guage?

I am rushing a little to make sure to have the car ready for the F-body event in Memphis coming up in a month. Unfortunately that means I'm probably not able to get the wiring as good as I want it long term. (meaning I probably won't have the engine harness tied into the guage cluster to start with.)

Sorry for the rambling, just have too many things rattling around in the empty space between my ears.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

in my 2002 ls1 the oil pressure sender does not go to the pcm.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cherryelky305
in my 2002 ls1 the oil pressure sender does not go to the pcm.
How would the "CEL" work then if you lost pressure?

It should go both to the ECM (above) and/or to the fuel pump system so it only runs when there is oil pressure.

They could come off the same port though.

FB
Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

It wont throw a code if you lose pressure, simple as that. thats what the gauge is for anyway.

I dont know maybe it splits off after it gets to the gauge. all i know is that my sender didnt go to the pcm, just to the gauge.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Oil pressure sender does not go to the PCM on an Ls1, on the old TPI motor the oil pressure sender did go to the fuel pump, but was only as a back-up for the fuel pump relay in the event of the relay failing, however it would not shut off the fuel pump if you loose pressure. If you want to use both the temp and pressure you can use the fitting above the oil filter like you stated and use the stock location for the guage. I'm not sure who it was (if somebody knows post it, I'm not taking credit for it, but it worked perfect for me) but someone on here came up with the idea of breaking off the top of the original sender and drilling out the center and tapping for the smaller size oil pressure sender or a line for a mechanical guage. Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Launching!

I bought a fitting from NAPA that screws into the stock location that accepts a fitting for the oil pressure sender. Two fittings only sits about 1/4" above block deck and it only cost about $3-$4. Plus it looks better than an old sensor drilled out.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Default next question

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Oil pressure sender does not go to the PCM on an Ls1, on the old TPI motor the oil pressure sender did go to the fuel pump, but was only as a back-up for the fuel pump relay in the event of the relay failing, however it would not shut off the fuel pump if you loose pressure. If you want to use both the temp and pressure you can use the fitting above the oil filter like you stated and use the stock location for the guage. I'm not sure who it was (if somebody knows post it, I'm not taking credit for it, but it worked perfect for me) but someone on here came up with the idea of breaking off the top of the original sender and drilling out the center and tapping for the smaller size oil pressure sender or a line for a mechanical guage. Hope this helps.
Of course I would find this out After I bought a new sensor since the junk yard broke the original one when they pulled the motor! LOL. Second question then is can I use the stock TPI oil sending unit to power the original guage? It's not super accurate, but I don't want to pull it out of the dash.

Thanks for the response.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Launching!

you would use stock tpi sender
Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

If I remember correctly the oilpressure sender on a F-Body LS1 only runs the idiotlight through the PCM via the Body Control Unit. How ever the Corvette PCM can send out oilpressure signals.

My self I use the stocksender outlet to connect a idiotlight sender for my 69 Camaro. I found that Autometer has adapters that will fit there, See the FAQ section.

Jan
Old 04-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

For the sake of argument guys, if the engine lost oil pressure how would it know then?

That was a standand in a few motors I did and seems a pretty safe system.

FB
Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

I dont think it knows, just keeps running.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Why don't you install the fuel/oil pressure switch off the 91 engine? The orange and the grey wire will go to the fuel pump relay and the tan to the indicator. I used my stock 97 switch on my truck installed by the filter and it works great! I just looked at the pinout on your Z and there's no reason it shouldn't work. It should shut the fuel pump down at 27kpa/4psi. If you don't have the original switch get you a new one for a 91 or 92 Z and run the 2 wires to your relay and the tan to the gauge.