Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right PCM for the eng/trans combo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right PCM for the eng/trans combo?

I'm getting closer and closer to firing up the LS1/4L60e combo, some more wiring and a fuel pump/line etc...

but I bought the setup from a junkyard, as a conversion package, eng/trans/harness/ecm. I have found that while working/wiring, that I have a 99/00 LS1, a 98 PCM and a manual trans harness. I need to get everything put together and functional/running so I can take everything back out to prep/paint the car, install interior etc....

So my question is, How can I tell if the PCM I have will support the eng/tran running/ shifting gears etc.... I do plan on getting the car tuned or buying the EFIlive later down the road. I just don't want to drop the 500 bones or so for that yet. Just wanna make sure the eng will run, trans will shift, electrical system will function/charge etc...
Old 04-18-2008, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

1999 - 2002 harness and pcm would be a much better choice over the 1998 pcm/harness
Old 04-18-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definately go with 99-02 wiring harness and computer. If your engine is a 98 you only have to change a couple of things.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, I'm already about complete with the wiring, so the harness I have is staying. How do I know if the PCM is set up for a auto or manual trans though?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:04 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only way that I know of is to use one of the tuning programs and download the file to see if the auto trans tables are in it. They can be burnt into either PCM cause the actual PCM is the same its just the programming that is different.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by G-Body
The only way that I know of is to use one of the tuning programs and download the file to see if the auto trans tables are in it. They can be burnt into either PCM cause the actual PCM is the same its just the programming that is different.

Thats what I thought. I remember ready somewhere that you can go by the cars VIN, but since I don't have that..... Wondering if the sticker that is on it can tell anything.