Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a good oops?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a good oops?

new be for this ls stuff so please be gentle ---- just tired of doing 11's in a beast to drive -- want do it in a more peacefull manner .

this is my oops , i'm a cleveland boy that cant go fast enough, so i met a man that talked me out of buy'n big heads for my 402 gen1 sbc. i thought i bought a ls1 ---- not what i got was lq9 iron blocked 317 alum. head complete engine cpu and all, that they miss-printed .what it was, a silverado hd max with 56,000 from a rearending got to hear it run and all before they pulled it. at 1,300.00 i thought i got the deal of a lifetime,cuz its going in a 76 stingray. most of the steering and acc is in the vett's original spots. PLEASE KNOCK ME IN THE HEAD IF I'M WRONG
I know not the same components but i meant able to fit without any hard mods,and acc to boot . just need to pop in a good cam a newer intake and go do 11's !!!!! any ideas ????
Old 06-28-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be done.. research on the C3 Vette swap and you will see that there are a few already done or being done. Get a LS6 or one of the FAST intakes and a cam of your choice.. (starting with a 224 or bigger). Maybe get some work done on the Heads.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i'm doing the the reading right the 317 heads are some of the better 1's? 10.2 to 1 comp. ? just smaller valves? would a 222 cam b to much for these or does the same rules apply for displacement with these motors as a gen1? sorry this is a new beast to me
Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your lq4 has 9.4 to 1 comp look into some ls6 heads to get the comp back up.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The LQ9 was available in SilveradoSS, not regular Siverado. If yours comes from a Silverado HD (but not SS, the "sport" model), then it is an LQ4. No big deal, the main (only?) difference is the compression ratio: a bit over 10 in the LQ9 (which requires Premium) or a bit over 9 in the LQ4. Both great engines, not that big of a difference in HP and you got yours at a good price.
I fear that the truck intake will not fit under a Vette hood (it did fit, but barely, in my 70 Impala). If it fits, keep it, it is a really good intake, LS1 or LS6 intakes are not better up to close to 6000 RPM and may even loose a bit of torque down low.
Do not know anything Vette specific, but do a search on the forum, you will probably get lots of infos.

Quick Reply: a good oops?