Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insulating the Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Insulating the Engine Bay

I am converting the 65 Chevelle over to the LS. I have the front clip off now, and am waiting on the motor. Since I am down here in Houston, I am curious about insulating the engine bay, in particular the engine bay side of the firewall. I spoke with the Summit folks this evening and he recommended this product.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-711005

The picture just looks a bit thin, and I can imagine having possible issues with this stuff, but the guy assured me it was good stuff inside the engine bay on the firewall and the hood. Can someone advise me here.

I have looked at Kwhizz's 66 Chevelle build, but it did not look like he had used anything on the inside of the bay. Probably b/c he is up in Wisconsin. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Insulation

Hate to take a different approach and not answer your question directly but I really like the look of a smooth painted firewall. For insulation I add it to the inside of the firewall. There are many products for this purpose. Easier to add layers for heat AND sound. As a side note the under hood insulation on newer vehicles is designed to melt in case of an engine fire. It then droops over the motor and helps smother the fire.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I would agree, I would insulate the inside of the firewall rather than the engine side. I have a layer of Hushmat followed by two layers of a similar insulation to what you posted, and then there is carpet about half way up. It blocks the heat. Even in the summer the firewall is not warm to the touch.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:30 PM
Launching!

It does seem the general consensus is not to run any type of heat shield in the engine bay. So on the inside cabin of the car on the firewall is there a particular product that you guys are running?

I see LS1nova is running hushmat, which looks like a heck of a product. Then you used what product on the floor pans?

Is there any other product I need to be looking at for this?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default insulation

Lots of products out there. Research and ask questions just like you are doing now. Check out LIZARD SKIN. They make sound and heat barriers which are spray on. When building a 'glass street rod I always put a thick piece of plywood on the inside of the firewall. Sound and heat deadener and great to mount things to without boltheads on the engine side. Speaking of firewalls, before you do anything in the way of body work to the firewall do yourself a favor and weld a piece of 1" angle iron to the inside of the firewall about 8-10 inches under the cowl. The angle iron should go from one side of the car to the other and have holes drilled about every 4-6 inches. You will not believe how handy this is to mount stuff to without bolts going thru the firewall.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Launching!

33willys, how are you mounting you plywood to the inside of the firewall? Do you cut a piece the exact same as the inside of the firewall or just one that goes half way up?

On your angle iron do you have any pictures of this on any of your project cars?
Old 11-01-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default firewall

Mike,
Sorry don't have pictures of the under dash. I'll try to get a few of the '39. What I did with it was to drill 1/4" holes every 4-6" and weld it to the firewall from side to side. Used it to mount A/C, wire looms, relays...etc. As far as plywood I used this on 'glass cars and cut it to fit the entire inside of the firewall. Mounting can be by liquid nails and/or necessary bolts thru the firewall such as radiator support or hood mounts or trans hump. Bottom line is to make the inside sound/heat barrier and convenient to mont stuff with no holes/bolt thru the firewall.

Quick Reply: Insulating the Engine Bay