Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Looking for Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Convertible Top

Hi! I'm back!

I have gotten some good information here! Last post was about gear ratio for the ring and pinion, ended up getting the Gear-head brand and it worked great. no more whining sound going down the road!

So now next thing, I have been wanting to put a new convertible top on my TA for some time but something always seems to come up to prevent me from doing it. Got a year end bonus so... new top it is - God is So Good!

I have been searching on-line looking at prices and such, anyone have any experience replacing their top? Wondering what manufacturer is best without breaking the bank but still get good quality and where you purchased? I'm leaning towards the Stay-Fast material, any thoughts guys and or gals?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I still have my original top but Haartz material is the only type I would use. If Stay Fast is the same as Haartz then that would be fine. I haven't looked at the materials for years now but original is always the best way to go or it can look 'cheap'.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:00 PM

Default new top

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I still have my original top but Haartz material is the only type I would use. If Stay Fast is the same as Haartz then that would be fine. I haven't looked at the materials for years now but original is always the best way to go or it can look 'cheap'.

I put a new one on my 2001 Pontiac T/A. Local shop here in Lincoln, Ne. did it for me. I went with vinyl on their recommendation. I was told it will last a lot longer than cloth. I have White with heated glass back window. Labor was around $600 and top was also around $625. There was a lot of work to it. Omaha was even higher on labor. I don't have any pics on the computer but do on my phone. Send me your # or e-mail and I will send pictures. Car is dark Blue and had a White top so we stuck with White. I'm sure it will be harder to keep looking new. Hope to keep it inside away from birds most of the time. www.topsonline.com This is the place the shop got it from. They do sell direct to individuals also. Located in California. Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:02 PM

p40man@hotmail.com
Old 03-05-2020, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the update and good luck with everything. I'm sure many 'vert owners would enjoy seeing the new top if you feel like posting photos here.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonpainter
......... I went with vinyl on their recommendation. I was told it will last a lot longer than cloth. I have White with heated glass back window. .........
The factory white top was vinyl. I've never seen a white cloth 'vert top, on any car. It would show dirt SO easily and be a PITA to keep clean. I think the cloth tops are much more sturdy though, I've seen so many vinyl tops dry out and crack with age. I've never seen a cloth one crack due to age, stretch and fade, yeah, but not crack.
The following users liked this post:
carsmoker (09-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Looking for Convertible Top