Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Leaking top

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking top

Hey guys, this weekend I discovered my top is leaking into my trunk, I had about 1/2" of water down there! This is the first time I have ever noticed any sort of leakage since I bought it 1.5 years ago, and it has been through plenty of downpours.

The drainage channel is clear and the drain holes are too. Any ideas where I should focus my attention?

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First off get in the car while someone hoses your top down with water....then hopefully you can see the leak and figure out how to stop it.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

also have a midget in the trunk.

ROFL
Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Would a trunk monkey work? I think one of those might do the trick, I could have him patch the leak too while he's at it. Anyone know how much one costs and where I can get one?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.trunkmonkey.com/
Old 06-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

I am (well, was) going thru the same issue (sounds like).

Just got the car back from the dealership (still under warranty ) and it seems to be fixed finally. I may sound like a retard to the folks who actually KNOW something about soft tops (which I admittedly do not) but they said they pulled the top loose from the back (under the window) where the top attaches to the car, resealed it and re-attached it. I did none of the work and have no idea what it actually involves. I seem to recall some threads on doing this here, but I really didn't search for them since I didn't think of re-sealing the back of the top .

Just for info, I had the same symptoms you have, and the water seemed to come in toward the left side behind the rear seat. The carpet on the "package shelf" was soaked and ran into the trunk area. After they were done with the "fix" I took the plastic valence panel out (that separates the trunk area from the passenger compartment), propped up the carpet on the pkg shelf and set a hair dryer under the carpet to fully dry it out.

Had tropical storm Alberto come thru last week and drove in it with no leaks so far!

Good luck!

Allen

Quick Reply: Leaking top