Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Help with plans on modding new C5

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with plans on modding new C5

Hey guy's new to the corvette crowd. These "bolt-on's" are all new to me. I'm coming from the turbo Honda world! Car is 01 auto vette. Car came with a magnaflow exhaust already on it and thats it as far as mod's. I'm looking to keep this as a daily fun street car. I'm looking to do a full exhaust setup including headers and header back exhaust, intake, cam, nitrous. I'm not sure what the best engine management is for these mod's either. If someone could point me in the direction of the best brands for those item's, that would be great! Take it easy on me now im coming from Honda-Tech!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome. Alot of us own hondas too. I have a couple of XR dirtbikes in the garage and a lawnmower.

Congrats on the new vette. If it were mine, I would get a high stall converter and tranny cooler first. Then headers and a cold air intake system. You already have a LS6 intake so your good there. No tune needed so far, but it would help. Any mods after that, and you probably will want to strengthen your tranny and output shafts first. Texas Speed, a sponsor, has a good header out. Vararam seems to be the **** for vette cold air systems.

good luck
Old 12-23-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

it kind of depends on what your budget is. if its not much, start with vararam and then headers and exhaust. this is my first vette as well. ive owned 4 f-bodies before though. and i always did the bolt ons first and never messed with suspension until my last f-bod, i went all out. so on the vette, i did the suspension first, you can see in my sig. it made a world of difference. after i get the stuff in my sig installed im gonna do tsp headers, see what that gets me at the track, then go with 3.73s, then possibly a stall, and so on and so on. good luck with whatever you do and welcome
Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
DBN
TECH Enthusiast

First mod should be a high stall converter (3200) along with a trans cooler and/or 3.42 gear if you can afford to do both at the same time. Next would be headers, CAI, and a tune. These mods along with stick tires should get you into the 11s and you will still have a 28-30 mpg cruiser.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by focktq
I'm looking to do a full exhaust setup including headers and header back exhaust, intake, cam, nitrous. I'm not sure what the best engine management is for these mod's either.
TSP makes some cheaper headers than the other places if you want to keep the cost down. They also sell ported heads / will port your heads / cams combos.

Harris Speed Works or Nitrous Outlet for n2o kits.

Best engine mangement is the factory ECU + a good interface for it. HP Tuners or EFI Live.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by DBN
First mod should be a high stall converter (3200) along with a trans cooler and/or 3.42 gear if you can afford to do both at the same time. Next would be headers, CAI, and a tune. These mods along with stick tires should get you into the 11s and you will still have a 28-30 mpg cruiser.
This guy knows what he is talking about...

This will make a world of difference compared to a stock A4 Vette.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

I only have a few bolt ons so far on my 98, Callaway Honker CAI system, B&B Bullet quad tip catback and a LS6 intake manifold. I just picked up some 243 heads and I am looking to do a mild cam change. Nothing to crazy, just looking for some decent power and DD fun. Noticed some difference in power and throttle response so I am very pleased with it so far.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will love these as compared to Honda. Less of a pain in the *** as far as tuning.

As stated above, 3.42 or 3.73 rear differentials (Speedinc and maybe TSP sells these), Atleast a 3200 stall converter (I have a Yank Super Stock one on my car and love it; drives stock when you want to and like a bat out of hell when you step on it). Cold air intake, TSP heads or Kooks headers (pricier), cam, tune and you should be good to go
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DBN
I agree, plus consider getting your tranny internals upgraded to handle the extra power. Probably should also check the torque tube bushings while you're at it.

Quick Reply: Help with plans on modding new C5