Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Just bought my first C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just bought my first C5

I just picked up a '99 Coupe M6 with only 41K on it when I test drove it. I'm really excited about the car in a whole. My mom took the car for the week and put a little over 1100 miles on it and now it has 43K. Still great for an 11 year old car.

I have a couple of questions about the car.

1. It has a pretty good wheel vibration at 70+mph. I think it is because the front left wheel has no weights on it that I can see or feel.

2. When I make a slight right turn there is a sound of a rub that seems to be really bad, yet the further into the turn I go the better the sound gets. My family mechanic, who is a "good ole boy" said that it was probably the fact that it was only driven 2,000 miles the last 3 years the linkage is stiff and after time it will lossen up. But, I will be doing a 10-11 hour drive in 2 weeks and want to make sure this and #1 go away.

3. I hate the stock shifter and want to know how to take it off.

4. It has Depo headlights, and I need to know if they can hold HID's without the full harness or if I still need the relay.

Any help would be great
Thanks.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought my first C5-vette-1.jpg   Just bought my first C5-vette-5.jpg  
Old 04-08-2010, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats with the purchase! You're in for a real fun car to have. Don't know much about the Depot headlights (never really was a fan of the fixed headlights until the C6 came out) The vibration may just be a tire balancing issue and alignment. Good luck and enjoy!

Jorge
Old 04-08-2010, 04:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations, you have a sharp car there and you'll have a lot of fun.
I bought my first Vette (2002 Z06) last November too, these C5's are an awesome car to drive, enjoy it!
Some of them will have smaller issues, mine does and just take one fix at a time and they will be gone before you know it!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Well it ended up that I needed two new tires up front. It had 255's on the front with the Z06 rims that were bald on the inside, so I put 275's on the front. And now it rides like a dream. It still has a little vibration when turning right, but that has been going away slowly, just like the mechanic said. Now, I just need to do something with that dang stock exhaust.

P.J.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first C5