Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Shift Cable Replacement Procedure Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Shift Cable Replacement Procedure Question

Hey guys. I just became another victim of the dreaded broken shift cable. I had to manually shift the trans linkage the other day to get home praying I wouldnt need to use reverse. The cable itself broke on the bake side of the bracket that bolts on to the trans itself. Ive seen the 'official' procedure on how to replace it but something tells me you shouldnt have to remove the hpipe and tunnel plate for this job. Question, has anyone here ever fished or fed the new cable through by using the old cable to pull it through or even a electricians fishing tape? I dont see why you cant pull it through from the back side. Its short and somewhat of a straight shot and the cable should be flexible enough for this, just feed it through the console where the shifter is. So, anyone try this? Sounds easier and better than removing all that crap . Any help or advice/ideas would be greatly apreciated!

Btw, I have an aftermarket xpipe which allows me to remove the rear section of pipe allowing me access to the cable bracket on the trans.

Quick Reply: Shift Cable Replacement Procedure Question