Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5ZO6 Steering wheel Removal Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5ZO6 Steering wheel Removal Issues

I know the factory wheels are suppose to be tough to get off...but i definitely underestimated it. I pulled the airbag off and got the center nut off (easy). Then, I put the steering wheel puller on and the thing wouldn't budge. I'm talking me using a 1/2" ratchet to turn the puller bolt and my buddy holding the steering wheel still...no success. After that, I tried putting some penetrating oil on the shaft to sit for about an hour and we tried again. Results...started pulling the gm hook thing through the steering hub. I'm on the verge of cutting this steering wheel to pieces to get it off...Someone please tell me some magical thing to do to make it easier.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Ive heard they are real easy or a real PITA. Mine just fell right off. Make sure you are pulling straight. I used bolts with nuts and washers through the 2 holes closest the shaft. Might try a impact. I have also heard of a air hammer in the middle of the shaft and pulling like hell. I talk to a salvage yard that said a lot of them break coming off. G/L
Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply.

I made some more attempts on it this morning after letting the penetrating oil sit on it all night, but wasn't lucky enough for it to work. My OEM steering wheel is now in pieces from getting cut out. Unfortunate way to have to do it, but what else was there to do....
Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikef85
Thanks for the reply.

I made some more attempts on it this morning after letting the penetrating oil sit on it all night, but wasn't lucky enough for it to work. My OEM steering wheel is now in pieces from getting cut out. Unfortunate way to have to do it, but what else was there to do....
I had to cut mine off also, what a pain in the ***.

Quick Reply: C5ZO6 Steering wheel Removal Issues