Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Cooling thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling thoughts

Okay guys just want your thoughts on cooling ideas..several people here know my story on this C5z I am building long story short I bought this car in NJ and the LS6 was blown with a cracked block. Well I am installing a 416 LS3, I had the heads ported by TEA and am in the process of installing it now. I used the LS6 steam vent in the rear of the heads and blocked off the tubing due to the fact the front steam ports were already blocked off by TEA. But today I looked at "Realcanuk's" setup for his upcoming SC setup and he used a set of Trickflow steam vents going from back to front (with crossovers of course).

Do you guys think this is an ideal setup and should be utilized or should my current setup be fine..just throwing ideas around and wanted some input.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read everything I can find on the topic. There seem to be tons of different opinions on the question of steam vent setup. I have yet to see any real proof of what is best. I ran until now with the stock setup (rears blocked and fronts connected ) with no issues.
Now that I am redoing things I just decided to add the rears into the loop. I have no proof that it is better, but I cant see that it can hurt.
Sorry.... no real help here on your question, but I wouldn't be comfortable with the fronts blocked off personally. There must be a reason they are used from the factory.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda agree with you I wouldn't imagine Mike Schmidt from TEA blocking them off for any reason but sure enough they are..I think I will go ahead and pick up a front crossover kit and see how it works..but your pics are seared in my mind lol and I really like your setup. So I might do that instead.

Quick Reply: Cooling thoughts