Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Looking for a good multi purpose tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Looking for a good multi purpose tire

Car:1000hp C5,6speed, solid suspension. Used for some cornering, as well as straight line acceleration(half mile-1 mile racer). I don't like soft side walls for high speed stuff since the car is so stiff. I DO have another set of wheels for drag radial only so, this set is more of a all around tire that I am looking for(although I'd like to be able to pull a 9 second ET with them).

Tire size 335-30-18

I originally wanted a TOYO RA1 but they no longer make it in this sizing. It's the BEST tire I have ever used.

What I have found is this.

The "RIVAL S" is new to me from BFG, and the toyo R888 looks like its the only thing available from them. Below are links to each tire. Also open to other suggestions. Also, considering a MT(drag radial) but...I would probably hate them eventually(for high speed).

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...s/tire-details

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/patte...petition-tires

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just looking at tread width here, but maybe take a look at the BFG R1 & R1S roadracing and autocross tires they have a wide 13.2" tread width.

Rivals = 12.1"
R888 = 12.6"
Hoosier drag radial = 12.2

Hoosier A/R7 = 12.8

BFG R1/R1S = 13.2

I've tried road-racing tires at drag strips with mixed results Kuhmo's sucked Hoosiers weren't bad - haven't tried the BFG's though.

If you want something with more of a tread there is a Pirreli Corsa System tire but they want big $$$ for them.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LT-4Play
Just looking at tread width here, but maybe take a look at the BFG R1 & R1S roadracing and autocross tires they have a wide 13.2" tread width.

Rivals = 12.1"
R888 = 12.6"
Hoosier drag radial = 12.2

Hoosier A/R7 = 12.8

BFG R1/R1S = 13.2

I've tried road-racing tires at drag strips with mixed results Kuhmo's sucked Hoosiers weren't bad - haven't tried the BFG's though.

If you want something with more of a tread there is a Pirreli Corsa System tire but they want big $$$ for them.
I would seriously consider the R1/R1S for event purposes but if I get caught in the rain....I am done for. The scariest time ever in my car, was when I was on BFG DR's....approaching in intersection in the rain...at about 40mph....lightly applied brakes....back end just came around...I fish tailed through the red light...not hitting anything...I gained control in the middle of the intersection. Fortunately, everyone just watched, nobody went. I also had a Cobra with some pretty serious suspension and shaved BFG's...a weird, Florida shower came out of nowhere,...I hit a steel cleat, lost traction....spun the car out multiple times,..15 grand later. My point is,...with race tires, and stiff suspension, I have bad luck. Actually, I have bad luck period but, worse in the wet lol.

That said, I still would consider the BFG's..it would just really limit the use of the car. They're cheap enough to blow through during the cold season..maybe get another tire in a few months. I dunno. I am gonna look more into it. I appreciate the info you provided. It's amazing the difference in width between brands. Not in the market for 500plus dollar tires any time soon so I will see between R888, R1's and maybe a DR or something.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Swore I heard the R8 that won TI last week was using the R888...

Here?
http://gtrlife.com/forums/topic/1446...ion-vs-t1-gtr/
Old 10-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R888 unless you can't stand the fast wear. I still have 555r2s on the back of mine though and they're nice. If I keep the car I'll go R888 next.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Swore I heard the R8 that won TI last week was using the R888...

Here?
http://gtrlife.com/forums/topic/1446...ion-vs-t1-gtr/

AWD will fare differently vs my setup. Most all the lambo guys run them.

Originally Posted by ysb02
R888 unless you can't stand the fast wear. I still have 555r2s on the back of mine though and they're nice. If I keep the car I'll go R888 next.

I won't drive it THAT often but, I am expecting to blow through the first set of tires quick. I've got 5 years of catching up to do

Quick Reply: Looking for a good multi purpose tire