Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

40bms B2723 Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40bms B2723 Will Not Start

I got this code after taking my Z out for a test drive on new fuel injectors. It is a passkey detection circuit code out of the body control module. I was doing some tuning and set the alarm off either accidently, or it was triggered. I'm not sure because the key fob was in my pocket and I may have activated the panic button, not too sure. I couldn't shut the alarm down right away, so it drained my battery some. I recharged the battery and the code remains 40BCM B2723, with a no start condition. I went through the dic and with my scanner and cannot erase the code. (bitch!) The check engine light is on and the security light is steady with the key in the on position. I do not have another key with the resistor, but took the key to the dealer where they have a lock cylinder simulator and the resistor is good, and shows the key code. When I try to start the car all accesories light up, and the fuel pump runs, with the key in the on position. When I turn the key the rest of the way for start, everything seems to die, no starter or even a starter click. I'm also in the stupid column lock, and it will not back off, but no column lock code is present. I have an appointment with the dealer Monday. It most likely is a worn or broken ignition cylinder circuit for passkey. If anyone knows anything else, or have been through this before, please let me know. Maybe save me a trip to the dealer and a tow. I know these map glass batteries have to have a good charge. It may seemed charged fully, but I know that this VATS system is a finicky bastard. Any ideas, glad to hear them. I tried a passkey relearn just in case, but with the code present it is useless.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

There is a three minute delay even if you disc batt. Code can not be reset till you have one sucessfull start cycle. Check for poor connection at BCM and ignition lock cylinder. If you have anything hanging on key besides FOB remove it. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Purrvert
There is a three minute delay even if you disc batt. Code can not be reset till you have one sucessfull start cycle. Check for poor connection at BCM and ignition lock cylinder. If you have anything hanging on key besides FOB remove it. Good luck.
Yeah, I disconnected the battery the first night it happened. I have good connections at the BCM checked that today. I cleaned the key really well. Other than the key fob that's it hanging from the key. I haven't checked the conns. at the lock cylinder yet. I'll do that this weekend.
Thanks Purrvert
Old 03-22-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Purrvert,
Thought I would give you an update. I didn't take the car to the dealer Monday. I ended up checking the resistance of my key's resistor (7500 ohms) and plugging in a variable resistor set for 7500 in the key resistor circuit on the ingnition cylinder. Started right up, column unlocked. I'm going to hold off with the dealer for now and concentrate on my PCM learning the new cam tune, which has been going excellent. I drove it to work today, got stuck in stop and go traffic and ran better with time and miles. Starts right up and idle quality is great.
Cya around Vetteman
Old 03-28-2005, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Great troubleshooting. Glad to hear it worked out for you. My cam took about 35 - 40 miles to be learned. Sometimes the electronics in the C5 can be a real PITA.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Purrvert
Sometimes the electronics in the C5 can be a real PITA.
You are right on with that for sure. I'm in no hurry to get the column lock recall done either. It will wipe out my tune. I can see me picking it up after having it done re-flashing the tune in the dealer parking lot. lol!

Quick Reply: 40bms B2723 Will Not Start