Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Track Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Default Track Issues?

I finally took my z06 out to the track after heads, cam, output shafts, tranny brace, headers, cai, and nitrous. I ran 3 1/8 mile passes with no nitrous on street et's.The first time they waved me through the burnout box because they thought I had street tires on since I have matching rims. So with a tiny burnout on cold tires the car got sloppy and I had to let out of it half track. The second pass I got a little better burnout but not a good one and same thing happened. Third pass did a John Force burnout and the launch and run was perfect till right at third gear and the car got really sloppy real fast so I pushed in the clutch and coasted the rest of the track. The first 2 runs I chalked up to cold slicks but the third run that wasnt a issue. The next car after me got sloppy in the exact same place and they ended up hitting the guard rail. So I dont know if it was my car or something on thr track. Im running normal tires in the front and street ets in the back at 12psi. My car is lowered with bolts and cut bushings. Anyone else run into this problem?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't run any strip tires on this one yet but I do know mixing radials and non-radials can cause control issues at higher speeds. That could have been your problem but not sure. Since you've already got the ET Streets you might see if you can find some skinnies you could borrow for up front and see how it does. Might also run more pressure to see if that helps it any. Try to run as much as you can and still get a good launch. I'm looking at the different DRs now trying to figure out which one to run and I'm leaning towards the ET Street Radials.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, what were your 60 ft times?

What RPM do you launch at?

Are you "popping" the clutch or are you feathering the throttle out?

Alot of different variables.

Sounds to me like you need to sit in the burnout box for about 15 seconds or until tires are nice and sticky.

Track prep COULD be shitty. I know down here it always is.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that there are many variables. You need to give more information.

If you got squirly mid track I would say there was something down there like oil or tranny fluid. Its not usual to lose it mid track.

Unless you got crazy power. BTW, what setup do you have? What kind of numbers have you made? This is all useful information to diagnose this problem.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I had 430wrhp and now did heads and havent got a nre dyno number yet. I think there was something on thr track or I had to little psi in the tires. The car was getting loose at the top of 2nd at about 6500-6800rpm and then going into 3rd it just made it worse.