Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

The Hurst Shifter is in, and allngn_c5 is loving it

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Hurst Shifter is in, and allngn_c5 is loving it

Well after holding onto the Hurst Shifter I ordered from LG Motorsports (thanks for the hook up Bobby and Louis) for a couple of weeks I finally had the chance to install it. The instructions are well written and easy to follow. Even for a non DIY'r like myself. It took about 60 mins of actual time, and additional 60 mins of bs'ing with my buddy (ASE Master Mechanic) that was concerned about me not messing it up. He was going to do it but said I can handle the project on my own, and he was right. Makes you feel good to do it yourself. At any rate tore everything down, made the swap, bolted her in and took it for a test drive after making sure it went into every gear. I wasn't sure if I could get into Reverse but once I fired it up she went into Reverse without any issue. The short throw shifter is very tight and took a bit of getting used to. After the successful test drive I put everything back together and went out to see how she performed. Flawlessly, the shifts are quicker, and dead on. Very hard to miss a gear. All in all I am happy with the upgrade and can't wait to use it in a race. One other thing to note, is that I have the same shifter **** (Delrin) that Lou uses in the World Challange car and I can't believe how much more comfortable it is. Makes the whole shifting process feel like second nature. Vast improvement over the stock long throw shifter with square shift ****. Anyone interested in a short throw shifter, please don't hesitate to pick up the HURST short throw shifter. Worth the money and easy straight forward install. Contact LG MOTORSPORTS for your best price. Tell them Doug sent ya.

Last edited by allngn_c5; 09-02-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like mine as well, but I've had an issue with fourth gear twice now. I took the car to the track a couple of weeks ago and missed fourth gear on my first run. I hadn't been to the track in years and it was the first time in this car, so I blew it off. Then, I was racing a 911 turbo on a deserted Mexican highway Friday night and missed fourth again! I guess I'm just pulling towards my body as I'm pulling down to fourth, which is causing it to get caught in the gate, but damn it's frustrating.
Typical freakin' Porsche driver wouldn't slow down and let me get up beside him again either, so I didn't get to put a beat down on him.

I still love the shifter and the 2-3 shift is flawless and effortless. Congrats on yours and the DIY install!

99 FRC
Old 09-02-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks bro. If you are missing 4th gear you might want to pull the console out to access the shifter. Change the spring to the stffer one on the right side to prevent you from pulling into second from third unless you really want second. The 3/4 shift should be automatic, even with the crappy factory shifter. I used to miss the 2/3 shift, and that killed you in any race.
I left the standard springs in and like them a lot. I figured if I didn't like them it wouldn't be too hard to swap out the standard springs and replace with the stiffer or softer one that came with the kit. Either way you always have options.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine has a screw adjustment to adjust the spring tension on the side. I figured I could go ahead and tighten it up a little (it helps with the 2-3 also), but it's pretty tight already. If it happens again, thats what I'll do.

99 FRC
Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Glad to hear the install went well for you. Enjoy!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Banned

click, click....

Hursts are good for that.

Congrats on a mod deemed worthwhile!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know if there is enough interest in a group purchase, but if there was I am sure I could talk to Bobby and ask him what kind of deal could be passed on ?? On a group purchase everyone wins, LGM sells 10 or more at once and everyone saves a few bucks.

At any rate I am getting more and more confident with the shifter. My 1,2,3,4 shifts are way better then they were with the big, clumsy stock unit. At any rate I am chirping the Nitto DR's real good slamming it into 2nd. Haven't missed 3rd no matter how hard I hit it and running to 150 after slamming into 4th is awesome. I feel I have taken a good 1-1.2 seconds off my 0-150 times. Some of that has to be due to the added traction (DRs) but some must be due to the flawless shifts. I don't have any exact times to verify the claim other then how she feels. She feels great !! Can't wait for my next trip to Milan Dragway.

Quick Reply: The Hurst Shifter is in, and allngn_c5 is loving it