Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

What combo would you go with?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What combo would you go with?

I'm deployed right now and am trying to decide on a setup for my next car. I'm toying around with a few different ideas and options (procharger, spray, h/c/i, stroker) any combination of those. Not only would I like to hear some input on what you guys would do with a setup, and what you guys have done/how that setup works for you.. but also this question..

Are there any significant gains seen having a 02+ c5z over a basic coupe as far as serious modding is concerned? I'm asking about say stroking the car, or a FI setup with your basic bolt-ons/ maybe a cam...? Like I said, maybe a combination of any of the above... I understand the differences in the years and models; my question is concerning a more serious application, not strictly stip either.. The car will see a lot of california highway and run into a lot of exotics. I'm wanting a sick strip/street car. Thanks for reading, I look forward to any input you guys have to offer.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Banned

The biggest impact from the Zo6 is the transmission gearing. They're shorter (except 4th) compared to the M6 found in every other 'Vette and f-body...

Aside from that GEM of a transmission, the springs and shocks are more firm, the caster/camber specs make it feel even lighter around freeway loops...

They're almost perfect right out of the box.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
The biggest impact from the Zo6 is the transmission gearing. They're shorter (except 4th) compared to the M6 found in every other 'Vette and f-body...

Aside from that GEM of a transmission, the springs and shocks are more firm, the caster/camber specs make it feel even lighter around freeway loops...

They're almost perfect right out of the box.
GM's LS6 engine... is pretty strong... and the Z06 sticks very well.

Have you tried driving a Vette on road course? This is the best place to experience what a Z06 can do. With a very few mods... suspension/corner balancing, brakes pads, stainless steel brake lines, high temp. brake fluid, you're... Good to Go !!!

The C-5 Z06's are still very competitive on the track. These suckers hold up well... too !!!

We appreciate all the guys who are serving in th Arm Forces, and hope Y'all get back to the World soon.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider going low boost procharger until you get bored then step up to forged internals and make sure you bore and stroke her a bit for some extra cubes then up the boost and feel some real power. Low boost you could see 490+ rwhp, add all supporting mods and up the boost 650 rwhp could easily be attained. Good luck and get back home safe.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one could possibly give you a recommendation that meant anything without knowing how you intend to use the car and what your budget is.

For a road race car you might want to stick with a big cube NA setup. For drag racing you might want N20. For street duty in a location with moderate climate you might want FI. There are just too many variables to tell you what would be a good fit without understanding your goals.

As for the 02+ model years.. Who cares. Once you start modding it's all moot.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks all for the kind words and your responses.

Trumper- I haven't driven a Z on a road course, but I have tested a few out on the street. I can definitely feel the suspension differences between the z and coupe.

Joshua- I've been doing a lot of reading on the tranny differences and gearing; I've decided to go with the z.

Getting the car and modding it would fall very close together. I'm planning to mod the car within the first two weeks following the purchase. I'm set on going with a procharged setup.

-Basic bolt-ons would be step one, followed by a blower cam and forged internals
-With a procharged setup, would aftermarket heads (or basic intake modifications) see only minimal gains?
-I want to stroke the car as well (would going to a 408 be too much on the stock block? Would a 383 be more practical?)
-Is 8 psi on the p1sc II enough boost for a 408/ should I go d1sc over the p1sc?
-How would the rear and tranny hold up to the gains seen by the stoked/boosted setup?
-I've decided against nitrous

Sorry for all the questions, I'm still new to FI.. thanks for your time guys.

Last edited by GET_SOM; 09-08-2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GET_SOM
Thanks all for the kind words and your responses.

Trumper- I haven't driven a Z on a road course, but I have tested a few out on the street. I can definitely feel the suspension differences between the z and coupe.

Joshua- I've been doing a lot of reading on the tranny differences and gearing; I've decided to go with the z.

Getting the car and modding it would fall very close together. I'm planning to mod the car within the first two weeks following the purchase. I'm set on going with a procharged setup.

-Basic bolt-ons would be step one, followed by a blower cam and forged internals
-With a procharged setup, would aftermarket heads (or basic intake modifications) see only minimal gains?
-I want to stroke the car as well (would going to a 408 be too much on the stock block? Would a 383 be more practical?)
-Is 8 psi on the p1sc II enough boost for a 408/ should I go d1sc over the p1sc?
-How would the rear and tranny hold up to the gains seen by the stoked/boosted setup?
-I've decided against nitrous

Sorry for all the questions, I'm still new to FI.. thanks for your time guys.
Whoa, slow down. Buy a procharger kit, install it, tune it conservatively and make 500rwhp. Now...it will take at least 3-4 months for you to get tired of the freakin' awesome power. Also, install a stronger clutch simultaneously w/ the supercharger.

Get the supercharger kit from AAcorvette.com.

Build a 408 (because a 383 is just as expensive to build, might as well go with a larger motor)

Yes, aftermarket heads and especially blower cams will help dramatically..probably as much as 75-100rwhp with both head and cams and a competent tuner.

Before installing the new motor, get yourself an aftermarket 12 bolt, might as well go with 4.10's to make a stupid fast setup..

You know the rest...And with those gears w/ 650+rwhp and probably just as much in torque...there's just no way an ordinary exotic will even touch you. Especially on the highway. Thats what I would do, not to say it's the only way to do things.

By the way your looking at $20K+ for all that crap I just suggested, assuming you'd contract out the labor and tuning.