Intence opening day at the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intence opening day at the track

So, after bolting up from philly to raceway park in the morning to meet my dad, who trailered the racecar in from my home in NJ, we were forced to wait almost 2 hrs for the event to kick off. I was a bit nervous as I havent driven this thing all winter, and it was expected to pick up alot. Finally at noon, I was pulling up to make my first run. The two step doesnt work, which messed up my whole burnout routine as it banged off the limiter, but that was no biggie. My first pass I blasted out a 9.77 @ 136, my fastest pass by almost 2 tenths. The guy handing me my tickety said something but i couldnt hear him over the rumble of my car. First round (heavy/ pro-et/ 9.00 and slower no electronics) I was hoping for a slower car but as I pulled up with my 9.79 dial, I see him in at a 9.67. I wound up taking the win with a .033 light and I pedeled it to a 9.800 @ 129 mph. Now heres where **** hits the fan

The ticket guy gets my attention this time and says, you NEED to go to the tower right now. I go there, and sure enough, I get bitched out for not having my licence. Im forced to dial in a 10.00 or slower, heading into the second round. Frantically me and my dad start searching around for weight. We got about 50 lbs of weight from my uncle in weight bags, but that wasnt nearly enough. We needed over 200 lbs to slow it down at 100lb/tenth. We started strapping in bulky jack stands, a Jr dragster starter, and finally the spare trailer tire, which required us to remove the seat, strapp it down to the roll cage, and re install the seat.

After literally busting our ***** for 45 minuts straight, we were the last people in the lanes, as my class had already started running. We didnt get a chance to weigh the car, and we had no idea what it would run. We put a 10.00 on and hoped for the best.

My opponent dialed a 10.20, which was almost perfect as I could hopfully back myself in if need be. As I left the line, I thought I got the tree, not thinking about the fact that my car had an extra 200lbs in it. As im speeding down the track, I find myself coming toward the finish line 4 feet infront of the guy, and I tell myself, holy **** I think Im gunna win. In the last 15 feet I dumped it out, but no win light came on. I had gone a 9.974, and didnt get the tree (.058 light to his .032) because my car was much heavier.

After all of that, all I have to say is dragracing is a god-damn exiting sport, and allthough I lost, I have to say it was a good effort, and we did better than I thought we would.

When I weighed the car, we had added 208lbs. A pretty good guestimate for all of the random **** we threw in the car.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Banned

So, last year you went 9:97. Your first run out of the box, this year, you improve to 9:79.

When you went through inspection how many people asked ask you what the car ran?

I am happy you added weight enough and were able to run again. But please take the time to get your license. It's for your safety..................... Or find an OutLaw track. Normally they don't care. Good Luck!

JD
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like good times! Congrats on the new personal best!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:30 AM
10 & 11 Second Club

Sounds like some good close racing, definitely driving the stripe is just as important as getting a good light in bracket racing. Nice to see another 4th gen Fbody bracket racing, theres only a very few Fbodys that bracket race in FL. Good luck this season.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think this is in the '69.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM
9 Second Club

haha it is the 69' But when my 99 T/a is ready itll be out there. The inspecion at raceway is kindof like, hey hows it goin, ive known you for your whole life so, heres the signature and good luck racing today. Over the winter the engine came apart and we fixed a few problems so thats why it picked up. Im frantically trying to get my licence passes in before next weeks points event, because Id obviously rather not have to stick to 10.00. Thank you for the luck, theres some heavy hitters out there and im gunna need it.

Quick Reply: Intence opening day at the track