Mystery Solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mystery Solved

At Sacramento Raceway recently, I completed a smooth, typical (for me) run and turned off onto the return strip. I hadn’t gone far when horrible WTF grinding noises started coming from underneath the rear of my car. I immediately stopped, thinking something semi-bad must have happened. I looked everywhere I could but found nothing. I decided to see if I could make it back to the pits and was surprised to find the noise had disappeared and all seemed well. Today I pulled the rear wheels and found a fairly deep ridge scored around the inside of my driver’s side Convo-Pro. There is a corresponding gouge in the brake caliper. Apparently a pebble got wedged between them. I am wondering if this is common.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gary Z
At Sacramento Raceway recently, I completed a smooth, typical (for me) run and turned off onto the return strip. I hadn’t gone far when horrible WTF grinding noises started coming from underneath the rear of my car. I immediately stopped, thinking something semi-bad must have happened. I looked everywhere I could but found nothing. I decided to see if I could make it back to the pits and was surprised to find the noise had disappeared and all seemed well. Today I pulled the rear wheels and found a fairly deep ridge scored around the inside of my driver’s side Convo-Pro. There is a corresponding gouge in the brake caliper. Apparently a pebble got wedged between them. I am wondering if this is common.
Did you check the caliper bolts? if one of them is loose or bad it will cause the caliper to kick up into the wheel. I had a caliper get into a bogart a few years ago. I had to put a sleve in the bolt hole in the caliper to get rid of side play. Clamping force of the bolt alone wouldn't hold it under hard breaking. Could have been a pebble though. I have seen garbage get gouged inbetween the caliper and the wheel.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Maggie
Did you check the caliper bolts?
I did not check the caliper bolts - I will. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Maggie
I had a caliper get into a bogart a few years ago
My first thought, when I saw the damage, was - I would have been really pissed, if I'd had Bogarts.

Last edited by Gary Z; 08-10-2006 at 10:53 AM.