My $400 track trip... :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My $400 track trip... :(

Yesterday was High School Nationals at Milan Dragway....I'm a senior this year and was really happy my car was coming togethor and was ready for the Nationals.

My first run out with the new Yank SS3600 I was kind of upset pulled a 2.1 60'....turns out for High School Kids they dont prep the track AT ALL

My times progessively got better, went a best of 11.8 @119 but that was still spinning through first...the car definitly has a mid 11 or better if I could get it to hook. However at the High School Nats you cant run faster then a 12.00 for safety reasons.

I won 6 races, 3 time traisl and 3 eliminations. It was down to me and 7 other people.....I was up against some tubbed out, 11" slick car...was probably an 8 second car all day but it had a limiter on it and his dial in was 12.33 and mine was 12.0 ( I was on the brakes most races)

He took off very good didnt spin at all, I spun at the top of first and was catching him slowly, half track I was close to his bumper I was coming up on him more then all of a sudden I hear a whoosh sound and his exhaust sounded very loud....at first I didnt know what happened I thought something went wrong with the nitrous and I popped a piston, I checked all gauges and they were fine....I then look up and see... I had my driver side T-Top fly off at about the 1000' mark so around 110mph...

I was very dissapointed because I was proud of myself on how well I was doing...not to mention its $300 I dont have to spend on that...there was absolutely NOTHING left of the T-top...the guy said the biggest part of the plastic frame left was about the size of my thumb...

I always read threads on here on how it happened to people and pulled a "ha that will never happen to me"...well it did. I dont know if it just wasnt latched all the way or what...definitly a suckey way to end the season...

Chad
Old 10-08-2006, 10:13 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. But yah you forgot to latch it.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:16 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They pop up in the FS section all the time, or check the junkyards.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought 1SC cars were all hardtops? Anyhow, bummer about the t-top. That's why I latch mine & lock them always. A few of my friends have had the same misfortune as you in the past.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
I thought 1SC cars were all hardtops? Anyhow, bummer about the t-top. That's why I latch mine & lock them always. A few of my friends have had the same misfortune as you in the past.

I believe majority of them were, although ive seen people with 1sc cars "with options" I believe his name is Kman on here he has the same car but diff color.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:28 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seen it happen to a car that was latched and locked. When you put the new one on take off the A pillar moulding and the plastic cap at the rear and check how much of the rod goes into the little bracket. The one I looked at only went in like 1/16 of an inch front and rear. Took a couple minutes to adjust it so they went in like 1/2-3/4" and not rub the plastic. When they go in that little it wont take much for them to pop out. I never take my T-tops out so I adjusted them until the plastic rubbed - I dont want to see one of them come off @ 140mph
Old 10-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

thats why unless my car is in the shop while we're working on it, the ttops are locked and the key stays at the house. ofcourse with the new cage i might have to move the ttop over to get my fat *** up and over all those bars.

either way those are some decent times for your mods...was the 11.8 with the nitrous?

Quick Reply: My $400 track trip... :(