Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Shifter etc on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Shifter etc on the street?

When I switch to automatic this winter, I'll probably install an electronic, instead of an air shifter setup.

I was wondering if there would be a way to over-ride this when I drive the car to the strip?

Anybody here do that, or have experience?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an air shifter in my car. Unless my car is hitting 7000 rpms my shifter doesn't go off, but I also keep the bottle turned off unless I intend to use it.

As far as an electric shifter goes, you will have it wired to a rpm switch that will activate it and I personally would just wire the hot off the key to the electric shifter. It will only go off at the selected rpm and if you have it set 200 rpm before your rev limiter, it would be smart to have it on all the time (even on the street) unless you plan to shift it yourself. It's not like it will go off shifting your car into the next gear at 2000 rpms...
Old 10-30-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

okay cool, I didn't know if I could manually override the electric type.

Air shifter just seems like it would be a pita...especially if you forget to fill up
Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
okay cool, I didn't know if I could manually override the electric type.

Air shifter just seems like it would be a pita...especially if you forget to fill up
I'm going to an electric shifter setup this winter. If you have a CO2 shifter you fill the bottles up around twice a year or so. If you have a shifter that runs off of compressed air like mine then you fill them every few passes to make sure it stays at the same PSI. If you're interested I would sell mine for $40 shipped.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a co2 air shifter on my bike. I wired it into the stock shift light with a wot switch and a manule overrifr button. So when at wot and the light comes on it shifts on its own. I then have the option to shift early with the push button should i ever need to sandbag. I ride around town and foot shift just cruising no problem
Old 11-02-2009, 11:28 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I have an electric shifter in 2 of my cars. They get really hot and seem to draw more than they claim.
I had to add a kill switch because the damn thing burned my hand one time when I was stuck in 1st
for an extended period of time. I also went with electric after a couple of my buddies lost a few rounds
because they forgot gas, forgot to turn on bottle, pinched a line ect.
I will never use an air set up, as mentioned, PITA. Like I said, just consider a kill switch.
You can always leave it off on the street, when you're shifting constantly manually.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

good advice! Thank you sir!

Quick Reply: Air Shifter etc on the street?